1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Time Magazine think Americans are stupid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Slate wants to know:

The crux: While the rest of the world gets a hard-hitting political piece on the Time cover this week, we get a puff piece about doggies. And apparently it's not the first time this has happened.

Someone on the comments mentions that there have allegedly been times when the rest of the world gets puff pieces and we get hard-hitters, so perhaps you'd have to track this over time (no pun intended) to see if it bears out.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To answer the question posed in the thread, yes. One of my favorite Onion headlines: "TIME Announces New Version Of Magazine Aimed At Adults"

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

I don't recall seeing many puff pieces on the covers out here in Asia, but I have just the one set of eyes. Although, there was a recent issue with Lionel Messi on the cover while the American edition had ... something else that escapes me at the moment.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

"Don't you dare condescend to me. I was the fucking Person of the Year."
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Americans are pretty stupid. Time's problem is that its market should be the unstupid people.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think Time pretty much sucks ... though for U.S. newsstand cover appeal, there's no comparison between some European guy with the headline "Can this man save Europe?" and two cutesy pets.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that Von Drehele (sp?) is pretty good on political coverage, though. He's a really good writer.
  8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Comes from a family boasting a long-line of hard-line righties, and it shows.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the question in the thread title should have its subject and object reversed. Then we'd have the obvious answer.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does Americans think Time Magazine are stupid?
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This "outrage" went around facebook a few months ago. I looked back at about a year's worth of issues and found the same thing the commenter did: usually the various editions were the same, but when they weren't, there was no clear pattern about who got hard news and who didn't.

There were several weeks where Americans got a serious cover and the rest of the world got fluff.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Time thinks that, Time would be correct.
Draft saved Draft deleted