1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does tight access frustrate you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Everyone here seems to take it in decent spirits. I guess it's kind of a "can't fight city hall" approach, and that's admirable.

But, damn, with the way this is getting around the sports world, it's just starting to feel like we're just constantly on the outside looking in. And I hate that feeling. Like we're just living to glorify other people's accomplishments.

Obviously, there are other routes to stories. But after a while, it would just be nice to talk to the story subjects themselves and get real answers without so much regimentation.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes. it sucks.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It's the biggest change in my time in the business.

PR people used to facilitate coverage.

Now they throw up road blocks.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

indeed. back in the day, teams felt they needed the coverage. now, maybe because of player salaries and the espns of the world, not so much.

i've told this story before: when i covered the ny jets in the '80s, during training camp, you were actually invited into players' dorm rooms during lunch to do interviews. now THAT was one-on-one access.

i tell the new kids on the block about that kind of access today, they look at me like i have two heads.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Guess what I thought THIS was about?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can cover something nobody cares about, and get all kinds of one-on-one access.

Or you can cover something like this:

[​IMG]

and forget about one-on-one access because there aren't the 893 hours in a day it would take to accommodate the requests.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

BT - I understand the logistical challenges. But there's a happy medium between the Super Bowl and prep swimming. Bill Clinton can play poker on an airplane with writers, but Chad Pennington steps to a podium once a week to take a few regimented questions? Doesn't make sense to me.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's awful. the super bowl is one thing. this recent development of qbs or star players speaking just once a week sucks. the nfl has done a terrific job of making sure no one develops a real rapport with the big guys. just dreadful.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In a sense, I understand the frustration. In another, it's time for print journalists to wake up.

Athletes and coaches are talking more than once a week. To radio shows. To the Internet. To ESPN. To Stephen A Smith. To big magazines. They're getting the access print journalists used to get.

I've said it again and again…unless print journalism stops feeding its talent to the other news outlets, diluting the product and the reason for the print media, it's just going to get worse.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Beats the old "hot dog in a hallway." Oh, wait...

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hell, i was going to say i thought most prefer it that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted