1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this put all future Bill Simmons criticism in a certain context?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Good Doctor, Jan 9, 2009.

1. In today's column, there is the following passage:

What do you think?
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not sure why anyone would believe he was a journalist anyway.
  3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Well, who did?
  4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We've been talking about this for a while on these threads. These labels don't really mean that much. He's not a journalist; he does what he does, for better or worse.
  5. That's the thing. Sometimes, he acts like he is and expects to be treated/respected as one. (In my opinion.)
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably right...
  7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think he knows he's not a journalist in any typical sense, but the problem is that (as evidenced by the email) the average reader takes him as one.
  8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Remind me: Just how are we journalists respected, again?
  9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This doesn't mean anything...
    But, columnists have -- forever -- had a schtick. Then been able to turn it off for a serious or compelling piece. Not to say Simmons is effective in doing either, but just a point.
  10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

He's pretty much reveled in his "non-journalist" status since the day he started writing on the Interwebs.
  11. I'm not going to scour through the seven years of Simmons archives on ESPN.com, but it has happened. I promise I'm not making it up.

Either way, it doesn't seem like too many people are interested in this topic, so whatever.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Doc, it is a good point.

If Simmons does not consider himself a journalist, what would he call himself?

Does he ever ask a person a question? Yes. He has interviewed David Stern. He asked him questions for information that would be in a story.

So is a fair-weather journalist? He's not a journalist when he is wrong?
Draft saved Draft deleted