1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this put all future Bill Simmons criticism in a certain context?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Good Doctor, Jan 9, 2009.

1. In today's column, there is the following passage:

What do you think?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not sure why anyone would believe he was a journalist anyway.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Well, who did?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We've been talking about this for a while on these threads. These labels don't really mean that much. He's not a journalist; he does what he does, for better or worse.

5. That's the thing. Sometimes, he acts like he is and expects to be treated/respected as one. (In my opinion.)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably right...

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think he knows he's not a journalist in any typical sense, but the problem is that (as evidenced by the email) the average reader takes him as one.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Remind me: Just how are we journalists respected, again?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This doesn't mean anything...
    But, columnists have -- forever -- had a schtick. Then been able to turn it off for a serious or compelling piece. Not to say Simmons is effective in doing either, but just a point.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

When?

He's pretty much reveled in his "non-journalist" status since the day he started writing on the Interwebs.

11. I'm not going to scour through the seven years of Simmons archives on ESPN.com, but it has happened. I promise I'm not making it up.

Either way, it doesn't seem like too many people are interested in this topic, so whatever.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Doc, it is a good point.

If Simmons does not consider himself a journalist, what would he call himself?

Does he ever ask a person a question? Yes. He has interviewed David Stern. He asked him questions for information that would be in a story.

So is a fair-weather journalist? He's not a journalist when he is wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted