1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this Michigan loss hurt App. State's upset?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I know there's a Lloyd Carr death watch thread (and if the Mods feel compelled to merge, go ahead), but I wanted to pose this question:

Does the fact that Michigan lost, again, at home, again, and in blowout fashion this time, take any luster away from Appy State's win there last week?

In my mind, it's not quite such a big deal now that it's clear Michigan is not a top team. Last week, it was a shocking upset that shows the increased parity in the sport and the increasing talent at the top of I-AA. This week, looking back, it's another Good I-AA team beating a weak I-A team, which happens several times a year already. Not such a big deal in my mind.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No way. Still huge. They knocked the domino over first.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think App State's upset becomes even bigger, following yesterday. App State exposed all of the Wolverines flaws to the nation. Who would have thought that a D-I AA program could roll into the Big House and point out just how slow Michigan is? I guarantee you, no one picked App State to beat Michigan.

EDIT: Thanks Sportschick, for pointing out my NCAA subdivisional ignorance.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They are not D-II. They're a Division I program, I-AA, but Division I nonetheless.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Plus, Michigan's still the winningest team ever. There's a far cry between them and Northwestern.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

UNI beating Iowa State was not a big deal. But that's because ISU has never done shit. Michigan's got the history.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It doesn't hurt ASU at all, though I, as a fanboy looser, have troulbe thinking it was the upset that some were calling it. After all, it's not Temple or Duke rolling into the Big House and winning. Appalachian came close (a dropped pass in the end zone and a field goal that hit the upright) to blowing Michigan out in the third quarter. Some things went wrong, and as is the case in these I-A/I-AA matchups, the I-AA team began to play tight.

Bottom line is that Appalachian is a great team on the I-AA level, a mid-pack I-A at best and Michigan is a terrible Power Six team right now.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What App State did was prove what a fallacy the preseason poll is. The rankings are based on (A) what a team did the previous season and (B) the best guesses of the voters.

9. KP

KP Active Member

It hurts the credibility of the pollsters that believed they were the #5 team heading into the season.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Rusty, that's one of the best questions asked on here in a long time.
    I don't think it takes away from App's win, but it's a very, very appropriate question.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

ASU is in Tempe.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm not a Michigan fanboy loser, but I still think the Wolverines will be in a bowl game.

Draft saved Draft deleted