1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this mean I'm old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 13, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Who remembers when drug stores had huge tube testers? As in, when your radio stopped working you had to take some of the tubes out and go test them. Then you had to buy a new tube or two.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Suddenly, I don't feel so old. Thank you for that.

I spent most of tonight going through old pictures with my mother. Some from my childhood. Most from the family's history. (We were hunting for decent pictures of my grandparents because we realized my daughter had never seen any.)

Looking through pictures like that can certainly make you feel old, but it is absolutely worth making the time.

There's one shot we found tonight that I can't even begin to explain what it means to me. I'm still chuckling and it's dusty in here at the same time from this picture of my grandparents that has to be at least 70 years old, an image of two people who have been gone for 25 years.

Even if it would take you hours of digging through old pictures, if there is one gem like that somewhere in an attic or a closet, I suggest you go searching as soon as possible. (And no, don't ask what it is. You just had to know them to understand.)

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

You're not getting old. You're getting better.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My sister, the baby of the family, turned 40 yesterday.

That'll do it.

We spent a good deal of Saturday going through some old family-history stuff, including pics and letters and an autobiographical notebook done by our paternal grandparents, both of whom died while our mom was pregnant with her (Sis).

Obviously Sis never knew them. Two of our other siblings, who were 3 and 5 when Grandma and Grandpa died, remember them -- but just barely.

I was 15, so by default I become the source of all traditional family wisdom. Which does make you feel old sometimes.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, you're ancient. LOL But seriously, embrace it. That's what I'm doing. Remember, Father Time is unbeaten.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.

2. You get older every year, but you can act immature forever. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted