1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this lede make sense to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

And there's the problem. If the reader needs to read a lede five times before they understand what the writer is trying to say, it might be time for a revision.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Might have been the editors fiddling with the lede...it has the classic look of someone making changes on the fly and not going back to make sure everything was fixed before it went down on the page or, in this case, posted.
    How does the rest of the story read?

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

guys, is there this much free time around? it's a wordy lead. could be tightened. if we're giving this one a "what a bad lead" thread, we could stock a whole board with such links daily. (this is not a suggestion, just an observation).

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'll second that. Was he on deadline and didn't get a chance to proof his own work? Just awful. Unreadable.

5. Mmac

Mmac Guest

That is inexcusably awful writing, especially the "Around Roy Hibbert, he was surrounded...." opening. Embarrassing stuff.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it was brilliant.

I was left dumbfounded and perplexed, which I assume was the writer's intent.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I can't believe we're on Day Three with this thread.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I enjoy your depth and insight.

9. spud

spud Member

10. spud

spud Member

One thing I've discovered about this business is that you rarely come upon folks who actually (genuinely) like most of the copy they produce. When you find something like this, something so beautifully awful, you have to stop and admire. At least for me, it makes me feel less like a hack for a few minutes.

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I say this lede was the work of an inattentive editor. That first sentence smacks of being rewritten.

Draft saved Draft deleted