1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this lede make sense to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jul 16, 2007.

1. I love Adrian Wojnarowski, but I'm confused by the first paragraph here. Is it written correctly?

HAVERFORD, Pa. – Around Roy Hibbert, he was surrounded with college kids who wouldn't have wasted a moment with the debate that consumed him for months. Stay in school, when you could've been a lottery pick? Sure, sure. They would've been nowhere near these USA Basketball Pan-Am Games tryouts, where sweating through two-a-days for nothing but the glory of the red, white and blue would've been a foolery in the face of a first-round NBA draft guarantee.

"People look at me dumbfounded, almost perplexed," Georgetown's 7-foot-2 center said. "They ask me, 'What are you doing? Are you dumb? I would've gone and took the money.' "

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're confused because it is horribly written -- as Woj is wont to do from time to time -- and Yahoo apparently wasted so much money on "talent" that it forgot to hire editors.

3. Wow. That is fucking awful.

4. K, I'm not crazy. Thank you.

(I do usually like Wojnarowski's work, though.)

5. oh come on, lighten up

we all write bad leads now and then

maybe not that bad

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Why not just say, "Roy Hibbert was surrounded by ..."

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

How about this?

HAVERFORD, Pa. -- Roy Hibbert was surrounded by college kids who wouldn't waste a moment debating what consumed him for months: Stay in school or become an NBA lottery pick.
    Sure, Sure. They wouldn't be anywhere near these USA Basketball Pan-Am Games tryouts, sweating through two-a-days for nothing but the glory of the red, white and blue -- foolery in the face of a first-round guarantee.

"People look at me dumbfounded, almost perplexed," Georgetown's 7-foot-2 center said. "They ask me, 'What are you doing? Are you dumb? I would've gone and took the money.' "

But what the hell do I know? I'm no Yahoo! writer. :D

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The fact that in the first six words he hits a major redundancy means no, it does not make sense. And it doesn't make sense, either.

10. (Yeah, I guess I could've worded my post less inquisitively and more declaratively...like, perhaps, "this does not make sense.")

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Don't worry about it. I had to read the first sentence five times before I understand what he was trying to say. I thought words were missing or something.

12. I think I get it now. Is he saying that Hibbert was surrounded by non-basketball-playing college kids who were all telling him he was crazy for not taking the money...and that those kids, if they'd been in Hibbert's shoes, wouldn't have chosen to be at these Pan-Am tryouts?

(K, yes, that is it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted