1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this irk anybody else about preps coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Dec 30, 2008.

1. spud

spud Member

Before I say this, let me preface it with this: I know the drill -- high school kids are young and they don't deserve to be dogged in print like the pros or college kids do. This I understand well. I don't know if "don't deserve" is the right phrase there, but hopefully you get my drift. It's late.

I'm writing a story tonight on a game that ends in this bizarre fashion - bizarre enough that at least part of it needs to be told in full - and I find myself tapping the breaks on possible avenues into the story because it would A.) upset mommy dearest, B.) come across as too harsh, C.) not be painting a rosy enough picture. We all know the pitfalls that come with writing preps, but does anybody else find themselves subconsciously pulling story ideas from the chute because they're too "controversial" for the HS level? And does anybody else find it as troublesome as I do?

I always do this. I understand there are certain things you can and cannot say when you're dealing with high school kids... that's fine, I don't have a problem withholding some of that stuff. But does anybody else find all the gray area in the middle somewhat irksome? Some of these stories would be much better if I could include some of these things, but I don't know, maybe I'm just howling at the moon on this.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Spud, someone told me this a long time ago and perhaps it may help you. High School kids play for the love of the game. They are not on scholarship or getting paid for it. (At least that is what we are supposed to believe).
    With that being the frame work, write as if it were your child playing. You can make a dull story great on the prep level. Just use your imagination and be cognizant that these kids play because they love to play.

3. Seattle Hurler

Seattle Hurler New Member

What's annoying is this: The parents and coaches who complain if you point out that the point guard made a critical mistake are the ones who want you to cover their team as if it's the NBA. Can't have it both ways, folks.

4. spud

spud Member

You read that preface, dripster?

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Eff the gray area.
    You write the good and the bad.
    I was told by a coach the other day that the parents of the seniors weren't so happy because my preview article talked about the strength of their sophomore class and this would be a rebuilding type of year. Told him that's what I saw, that's what he talked to me about and that's what I reported on.
    There is no gray area if it's the truth.

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

So, what was the bizarre end to the game?

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Agreed.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If it happened during the athletic event, people saw it. (Well, except track and field.) So of course you should write it.

If it's off the field and pertains to rules/eligibility, of course you write it.

Home/personal life (Mom's a prostitute and the kid is being raised by wolves), nah. Nobody's business. I hate those stories in which a newspaper goes all sociological on a 15-year-old. Even if the kid's willing to talk, he/she is too young to understand that nothing good's gonna come from turning his life into a public freak show when there's no good reason to do it.

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

If it's the truth, go with it. It goes with being on the varsity.

I had a soccer district first-round playoff game where a bad team ended its season with two players kicking the ball into their own goals and taking their shirt and basically embarassing themselves and their school. Of course I mentioned that and their names.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

As a track guy whose parents attended exactly one of my meets (didn't bother me, they were both working and I sucked) in four years, that really made me laugh.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love writing about errors, missed field goals, bricked 3s at the buzzer, own goals and balks. That's why I got into this business.

12. jps

jps Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted