1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this happen often on CNBC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 23, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was flipping around TV channels just now and I somehow settled on CNBC. I rarely watch TV news, and never CNBC. But they were doing a story about Hugo Chavez and his recent rhetoric about nationalizing the oil industry further in Venezuela, so I started watching because I was interested. After the piece, they brought on two guests, and apparently they felt like they needed to present "both sides" of the story--whatever the story is, because you couldn't tell from the guests. So the only person they could find to "defend" Chavez was some woman from the communist party in New York. And they put her on opposite a Wall Street equity analyst, who only wanted to talk about how fucked the foreign oil companies are. The introductions alone were ridiculous.

And it turned into the most entertaining TV I have seen in a while. If I didn't check to make sure it was really CNBC, I would have thought it was a parody of a business news channel. The thing turned into a 10-minute capitalism vs. communism debate. I don't think the oil analyst was expecting anything like it. He just wanted to talk about the oil industry and what Chavez means for the U.S. and he was confronted with this ridiculous woman giving him the "workers of the world unite!" speech. He was almost tongue-tied from the shock. What the hell were they thinking or did they have train wreck TV in mind? Is this kind of stuff common?

Draft saved Draft deleted