1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this constitute cheerleading for the sport? Or am I being too harsh?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Sep 29, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's a notebook that appears to ask the NASCAR gods for a close race because of all the sport's woes. But maybe it's just tongue-in-cheek and I don't get it. Curiously awaiting others' opinions. ....

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/notebook?page=notebookMondayRundown

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read a Jeff Gordon interview recently (I think it was in ESPN's mag), where he said that drivers don't try to zoom out to too big a lead in a race even when they can, because NASCAR will then throw up a yellow flag for debris on the track. Nevermind, that there is always debris on the track.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think writing that you are hoping for a close game/race/season, etc. is wrong. But saying that you want it because the sport, team needs it is dicey.

However, it's not like he is fawning over anyone. It's pretty straightforward. He is using facts about NASCARs problems. So I don't see it as really very fanboish.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'd have to agree. If he were arguing for a certain driver to win, that would be crossing the line.

That said, I'm not sure NASCAR can do anything else to dumb down its races. The whole restictor plate thing has certainly leveled the playing field, if that was the intent.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The "restrictor plate thing" only comes into play at four races between two tracks, and only one of those (Talladega) is in the Chase.

6. Terry Blount's no cheerleader. I'm familiar with his work from his days in Dallas. Hoping for a good Chase is akin to many of us hoping the Super Bowl is not a blowout. We're not rooting for a team, just for a good game. I don't see anything wrong with that.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks for the clarification.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I think you're allowed to like the sport.
    Many people who cover one thing for a while kind of develop that "good for the sport" mentality. I don't really share it, maybe because my career has been split between two very different pro sports beats, but I think there are bigger problems in the world.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I agree that there's nothing wrong with a writer being for the "good of the sport". As a consumer, I would like for the writer to develop a passion about the sport he's covering. The line that we have to be careful not to cross, is being for the "good of NASCAR, MLB, NFL, etc.". Two totally different things.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That's right, expendable, they are different things. Good distinction.
    I think the "NASCAR Gods" would be equivalent to the good of the sport. Or at the very worst, Dale Sr., Fireball Roberts, Davey Allison and a dozen or so other guys sitting on clouds, poised to hurl down lightning bolts.

Draft saved Draft deleted