1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this coach have a right to be ticked off?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Nov 4, 2010.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Just forget about it and move on. Not worth trying to find a fault of your own that may not be there.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't owe the guy an apology. Depending on how important the relationship is, you might circle back to the coach and say you heard from the AD and that you hope that you didn't catch any flak because of his comments.

If he's mad and thinks it was off the record, you might establish firmer guidelines for such comments.

This is a learning experience. It's pretty rare for a coach to say someone is the "best" player on the team unless it's some real hot recruit. More likely they might say someone is the best player in the area or some such.

So just be aware that if you print something like this -- especially about a kid who chose not to play last year -- it could raise hackles. Not saying you shouldn't print it. Just that you should be aware.

I strongly disagree with the folks who say forget it and move on. You don't forget it. You just learned what types of things in the paper draw a reaction.

3. spud

spud Member

C, C, a million times C.

I doubt he was pissed because I mentioned the kid didn't play last year. I think, and this might be off, but I think the AD, who is in his first year at the school, was being preemptive, attempting to head off potential trouble with parents crowing that the coach said Kid A was better than their kid. Which I think should begin and end with a chat with your basketball coach. I don't know what part I have to play in this beyond what I wrote.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

We have a winner.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

So the coach is mad, or the AD is mad?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the coach said it, without the slightest suggestion he was talking "off the record," you owe no apologies to anybody.

It might actually be worth a story in and of itself: If the kid didn't play last year, why not?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on how the parents react to what you write throughout the season. If they're bitching about the coach saying nice things about kids other than their own this is a special group of five-alarm flaming assholes. The hilarity could be endless.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yes, of course you call him back.

You expect him to return your class, don't you.

He likely called you just so he could tell the parents, "Well I called him."

Be polite, make your point that it was perfectly valid and move on.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Call him back, but only if you know you can have a civil conversation where you'll be able to hold your ground. If the AD is a nice guy and, as someone mentioned, you're interested in maintaining the relationship, it's worth a discussion. But not an apology. Perhaps the AD needs a reminder that you're not his school's SID.

And do mention it to the coach that you heard from the AD. Don't go running like a tattletale, just mention it next time you see him.

Draft saved Draft deleted