1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this coach have a right to be ticked off?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Nov 4, 2010.

1. spud

spud Member

So we recently come out with our basketball preview, and in talking to one coach, he tells me the best player in school, an underclassman, didn't even play last year. So I put something to that effect in the capsule, that coach Yadda Yadda said their best player is just an underclassman or something and is joining all these returning starters.

So anyway, the AD calls me today upset that we printed it, saying he's going to catch all kinds of hell from parents and whatnot about the comment. He's not denying the coach said it, mind you, and the basketball coach never gave me an "off the record" comment at the time.

Do I owe this AD an apology? Do I call him back at all? I didn't see the issue running it, nor did my editors, but apparently he does. He's a pretty nice guy typically, for what it's worth.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ok, Let's see if I have this correct. Coach tells you the best player is an underclassman who didn't play last year. He's joining the returning starters and I gather the team is pretty good. What's the problem?
    But to answer your question, if the coach said it, and it's true, tell the AD to have a Coke and a smile. .

3. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Is the underclassman a transfer? Or is he just a kid who came up through the school system and didn't play varsity last year?

If the kid is a transfer, I could see some hand-wringing from parents/administrators since high school transfers are always kind of eyebrow raising.

Either way, you print it. Not your problem where the kid came from or whether someone's feelings are going to get hurt.

4. spud

spud Member

Nope, not a transfer. A homegrown kid who just didn't play on the team last year for whatever reason. I'm really trying to play devil's advocate and take the AD's side on this, but I can't imagine what reasons I'd have to be apologetic for printing it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tell the whiny-ass parents to fuck the hell off.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Hell no you don't owe him an apology. You print what the coach says. You don't quote the AD after a heartbreaking loss in double overtime right? No reason to worry about this IMO.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Yeah, I don't see any remotely legit reason for having to be apologetic. The transfer angle was the only one, and even then it's a "Who cares?" moment.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You know what the best part about people getting worked up about "best player" comments is - especially in this case, when someone thinks he's going to hear it from the parents?

The players all know who the best player is. You're not printing something they don't know.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Coach said it, you get to write it. Screw the AD with a stick up his ass. And NEVER let parents think they run your section.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Just curious: Did you use the best player's name?

11. spud

spud Member

Yes

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Help me out here, the AD is pissed that you said the best player on the team wasn't with the team a year ago and the reason he's pissed is that the parents are going to complain because:

A. It's not fair that their kids who have been there longer didn't get mentioned in the story?

B. It's not fair that their kids who have been there longer aren't going to get to play as much as the new kid?

C. The parents are a bunch of fucking idiots?

Draft saved Draft deleted