1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this change anything?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Feb 1, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

We all praised Sportline.com's Gary Parrish for his story on the JUCO coach whose wife killed herself and their 2-year-old son. Parrish had gotten the coach to disclose a number of heart-wrenching details.

I realize there's another thread on this elsewhere, but considering this update _ http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0130parmeter.html_ from the Arizona Republic any new thoughts on Parrish's original story? Did he err in taking the coach's story with so much faith?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

that link gets me a site map and nothing else

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Delete the underscore after the html and it works fine.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That story's also linked on the original thread, I think.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Apologies for the bad link.

6. This doesn't happen if CBS does their homework ahead of time - at least ask the cops if there's anything suspicious about what the coach is saying. The fact that all of this is flooding out now makes it pretty obvious no one asked ...

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think the teenage girl thing was reported to the cops until after the original story though, so the cops may not have known about it when the original reporting was done.

8. But did they ever ask or report the contents - or even the nature of the contents - in the suicide note? I'll fess up that I didn't read the initial story.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

For what it's worth, the Republic guy did a nice job of telling the story.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes it does. I feel for the kid with the scholarship. But it doesn't change anything about the little boy being killed. Stories of kids being killed by their parents brings tears to my eyes. I guess that's because I'm a parent.

And this is coming from someone who is a negative-nilly generally.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Cops refused to reveal the contents.

Draft saved Draft deleted