1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the score justify the story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Just throwing this out there ...
    I think Jason King of Yahoo!Sports is one of the best, most prolific writers out there. Here's the link to his story on Kansas State beating Kansas (Jason knows the territory well, having been KU's beat man for the KC Star).

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=At83ycSAueGdJVFj74M3iabevbYF?slug=jn-ksu013108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I realize this isn't a game story per se but the final score is not in the story.

A big deal?
    One of those mistakes that are made when cranking out tons of copy?
    A mistake that can be blamed on web sites lacking eagle-eyed copy editors?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think it matters at all. It's a companion column. When we'd do a gamer, a sider and a column, we didn't have the score in all three.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's not a huge deal, in my opinion. But, still, would it hurt anything to slip a score in there? I can find about a dozen places where you could do it, without screwing up flow and what not.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Trouble in paradise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Ag5T4.hRAMQ.EiUjYapsL1fevbYF?slug=ap-kansasst-arrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is no reason not to include it. Space is no issue. Flow is no issue.

If a hurried reader looks at only one story on an event, that story better include the score of the event.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I actually had a similar question regarding a Sports Illustrated Faces In The Crowd story.

I didn't think it deserved it's own thread, but it's germane here.

Upstate New York girl hits 15 3-pointers in a game to tie the national record.

The score was not reflected in the item in SI. There was room for the score, which was 91-36.

I think that's an important piece.

When the local paper (a city paper) did the story on the fact the kid would be in SI, it didn't mention the score.

Of course, the score was in the game story when she did it, but no one evr said anything about running it up. Later, the paper did a front page spread, with a chart showing where the shots were from. I assume the score was there, but nothing about the lop-sided game.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Yeah, the score should have been in there. It's not a huge oversight, given that it's a column, but it's an error of omission nonetheless.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Because it's a stand-alone piece - at least, in theory - the score should be in there.

If it was all packaged together on the front page with the game story (which it might have been; I haven't seen it, nor has that been said here), then it's somewhat excusable.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted