1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the public care?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Apr 9, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Just to stray from Saban for a second and be more general...

The public doesn't care about the dynamic between the coach and the reporters, or the players and the reporters. In general, IMO, the public doesn't care about the reporter except as conveyor of their team and their coach's information.

They don't care about the spread in the press box, they don't care about if you're a buddy with a certain player (which is why Boo-Yah was so damn annoying about MJ and the North Carolina days), and they don't care why a coach didn't make players available.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but in my experience, that's definitely how it is.

If the reason a player is not appearing for interviews has something to do with the team (e.g., one player refuses to give interviews until another player apologizes for an incident, etc), then I think the public cares. But if it's not about something having to do with the team or the product on the field, they don't care, IMO.

Anytime I read an article which mentions the food a reporter ate, or that kind of thing, I cringe. Which is why Peter King's MMQB, to me, sucks so much. There's a lot of stuff that's great mixed in with a lot of stuff no one gives a damn about. I'm not sure even Peter's family cares about his mocha choices.

2. First off: BigRed ... Why aren't you in Tuscaloosa right now taking all the beat guys to school? I hope you come correct on that one.

Secondly: But the personal anti-Moon slant of a few posters (who assuredly have their own agenda) is uncalled for.

Word.

Rocky must be one miserable dude. Bummer.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

If you've got a problem with me, man, send me a PM. This thread isn't about me. I was just confirming what others had said about Moon.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I must have been playing press box solitaire when you said you respected the statement.

And, to be fair, I'm QUOTING YOU saying "I respect Moon for saying it." The first three words of that, in case I'm still being unclear, are "I respect Moon." Which, of course, you clearly don't.

Just had to get that in there before this thread gets locked or deleted, as threads inevitably do when RB's axe-grinding begins to dominate them.

5. And I was confirming what others said about you.

6. Mighty_Wingman

I had to laugh at that.

The clock is clearly running on this thread.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can we get back on track please? This is supposed to be about bashing Satan, not each other.... :D

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Nope. All good with me, bro. And echoing BigRed, if you have a problem with me, please PM me. Same with M_W, who seems to have a "Rockbottom weighs in" alert tied in to the SportsJournalists.com mainframe.

*sigh*

rb

9. I do have a problem with your awkward insults on this board, and I did PM you about them.

EDIT: I'm now exiting the thread.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Having posted and deleted three responses to you, RB, I'm now exiting this thread. Feel free to continue your personal attacks on other reporters. Hope Saban gives you a big ol' kiss for your efforts.

Prick.

And instead of sending me a PM, feel free to give me a call. You know who I am.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

What efforts would those be, exactly?

Look, think whatever you want about me. Lord knows you do, and I am not about to be dumb enough to try and talk you out of it. I apologized to M_W once privately, and let murcielago know about them as well.

As far as "personal attacks on other reporters", I believe I am not the only one sharing the sentiment about Moon (note, not his column) -- but I guess the only one to rate the ire of the two board members I reference above. Lord help me if I *ever* offer an opinion again that somehow goes against the Wire Road grain.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted