1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the NBA stink?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by clutchcargo, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Have it at, bro. I can't wait.

Time to dispel some of these myths that have been bred partially by racism (not saying that you're racist. These myths about the NBA are pervasive and ingrained from birth).

2. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

I'm not racist, either, but a big reason why I don't watch the NBA is because I can't relate to the culture. For better or worse, it's not the basketball I grew up with -- and I grew up loving Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I love the NBA and always will. The thing that the NBA has going for them right now is that there are so many stars. This probably dosn't amuse older people but it's really attractive to the younger demographic.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A quick skim of www.basketball reference.com seasonal totals and averages comes up with this:

The one glaring unmistakable trend which has been constant over the last 50 years is purely a function of coaching: fewer FG attempts per game.

5. david kaye

david kaye Member

2003-04, Teams that shot 75 percent or above from the line --19 of 29
    1973-74, Teams that shot 75 percent or above from the line -- 16 of 17

Just looking at two years, but not what I expected.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if we could just talk james into dunking more times per attempt, we'd surely come home with the gold.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what are you pringle, like 25? grow the fuck up.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I humored you and answered your question the way you wanted... I thought you'd have a better response ready.

Quarterbacks are athletes, but are all athletes quarterbacks? If you were going to put Joe Montana and Michael Vick through the combine I'd guess Vick would score better in the 40, the vertical leap, the bench press, sneaking marijuana onto an airplane, etc etc. Those are all gauges of a guy's athleticism. Vick possesses more natural athleticism, I don't think anyone can debate that.

Back to the original point, do you really not think NBA players aren't more athletic than 20 years ago?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

boobie - my very sarcastic point was: yes, but i'm not sold on the fact they're better basketball players.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

boobie - wanna talk better athletes? why don't you take rasheed wallace, give me maurice lucas. i'll take the guy who consistantly knocked down 20-foot jumpers, pulled down boards and made a difference on the other end (ie. he played defense).

i'd also take lucas and/or kermit washington in a physical series game 7 over wallace for their physical play inside, as both lucas and washington would have made wallace cry like a crack whore begging for rock in the paint.

would wallace finish higher in the standings in a battle of the network stars in hawaii? you bet. but i'd rather have lucas in a game 7, though, and you can have wallace in the tug-o-war and bike relay.

11. So is MJ to blame for the current state of the NBA? Was he the first uber-athlete of the new era, or the last great all-around player of the old era?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

otis - don't laugh, but i'll say last. i don't consider MJ to be a vick. he's a montana in my book.

Draft saved Draft deleted