1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the NBA stink?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by clutchcargo, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Today's basketball players are just pathetic overall. I am not just talking NBA. I am talking high school hoops and college hoops. When a player has the ball, he or she just shoots immediately instead of finding an open person or going to the paint to get a layup or be in a position to be in the free throw line. It just disgusts me. They don't even know how to play defense most of the time. I go to the games at FDU and their basketball teams leave a lot to be desired. The coaching for both men's and women's team stink.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I love watching the NBA. In fact, I can't watch a college game after I've watched an NBA game, because the level of play in college is simply pathetic. You think NBA players can't shoot? At least they can hit an open jump shot. I swear most Division I college players cannot.

NBA bashing seems to be fashionable these days. My main contention is that they recycle the same six teams - Dallas, Phoenix, Cleveland, San Antonio, L.A., Miami - into the Sunday ABC double header.

But I love the athleticism of the NBA and I also really like following the team-building. The margin for error is very small, and GMs have to be very calculating - and a little bit lucky - to build into a contender.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The level of athletes is far superior to the leagues heyday. There are definitely plenty of problems with today's NBA, and I think the biggest is expansion. The talent level is too diluted. The Pistons championship team of a few years ago probably had the best starting 5 in terms of no weak-link/no superstar in recent years... not one of those players would have started for the Celtics or Lakers of the '80s. The talent is spread so thin that unless there is another Red Auerbach somewhere able to dupe other GMs into one-sided deals, we'll never see teams as stacked as those '80s Celts and Lakers. If they whacked four teams right now, the level of play across the board would increase dramatically.

And watch the Suns, Spurs and the Mavs. It's not all bad.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When did Detroit get removed from the cycle?

5. Taylee

Taylee Member

Those teams aren't bad to watch because they play team basketball. My biggest gripe with the NBA is that it's usually an individual's game. Seeing a player launch 35 shots and make 9 while neglecting open teammates isn't my kind of TV enjoyment. McGrady holding the ball for 3/4 of the shot clock then going 1-on-3 isn't either. He does that and the Rockets are one of the best teams record-wise. That says everything to me. Besides, the game has become a 4-on-5 battle, because usually the guy who missed the shot is bitching at the refs while everyone else heads to the other end. The NBA has done a little to curb that this year, but it's still too common.
    There are some teams I'll watch, the 3 mentioned by BMiles as well as Detroit and Cleveland. Detroit plays a team game and on most nights Cleveland tries to.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Saying that the "athletes" playing today's NBA game are so much better than they were 20-30 years ago, even if true, misses the point.

Great, so these juiced-up athletes can bench press more, or jump higher, or run faster, or can do more interesting H-O-R-S-E shots. That stuff soesn't have a damn thing to do with the caliber of basketball or the fact that these gunners and ballhogs playing today can't play defense, unless, of course, you call all that thuggery and mugging going on as "good defense."

If all I want to see is great athleticism, so to speak, I'll go to the next Summer Olympics and watch the decathlon or gymnastics.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm the same way, with all sports. I'm definitely a 'pro' vs 'college' guy. I want to see the highest level being performed.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if the athletes are "better" why do they suck so badly at playing defense and shooting? seems as though those are a coupla distinctions of being an "athlete" and playing basketball.

jumping sports, but the point's still the same: is vick a better athlete than montana?

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

TP, they play GREAT defense in the NBA.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's the punchline?

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

So which is it? They don't score enough and the game is too slow? Or they play no defense? Because I constantly hear both.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i simply said nba players can't shoot and are lazy on defense, hence, shitty defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted