1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the NBA stink?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by clutchcargo, Feb 16, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

(continued from previous post)​

Here's another salient point regarding then and now defenses. Even if you got the foul calls, as Jordan did, having the wood laid to you for a whole game wears on your mentally and physically. This is the whole reason Jordan started to lift weights, so his body could take the pounding of the Bad Boys, et al. So it's not just a 'well, even if the defenses were a 'little' tougher, you still go to the line' thing. It's the physical toll that leaves you with not enough left in the 4th to get those 103rd, 104th, 105th points. And even more than that, it's the psychological toll on not wanting a guy to be able to take your head off and still be in the game to do it the next time you try to dunk on him. That's where the old defensive rules really rear their head, physically and psychologically.

Finally, I'm not sure if you edited your post, BTE, or if it is in another post, but you said originally that any current team would not want to allow Jordan to break Chamberlin's record, and this would be another impediment to MJ's crushing WC's mark. You mean like the Raptors tried to stop Kobe? Oh, yeah, that's right, they didn't. Number of flagrant fouls (displaying how 'pissed' or 'distressed' the Raptors were that Kobe was destroying them) against Kobe - ZERO. Number of flagrant fouls against the Lakers (the 'displaced anger,' 'we'll take it out on Kobe's team if not him' factor) - ZERO. You might have forgotten, BTE, that sister of the 'you're not getting a record against us' part of pro sports. You know, that 'well, if he's going to get the record, AND it's against us, I'LL always be part of history' part. The Raptors were not trying to get the ball out of Kobe's hands (doubling, tripling, etc.), let alone flagrant foul him. So if you deleted that part of your post, it was a wise choice.

Not only would guys in today's game not be mad when Jordan would be crushing Chamberlin's record against them, they'd likely be cheering and cavorting on their bench while he did it, as the Raptors were supposedly doing when Kobe got 81. They'd be looking for 'authentic water bottle' and the like from the game to sell on eBay.

It's a different world now, and a different NBA. Guys don't hate each other and other teams like the Lakers and Celtics did, like Magic and Bird did (until they did the Converse spot together). If Jordan breaks a record, the league gets more notoriety, and that means I (as an NBA player) get more revenue down the line. Besides, with free agency, I might be MJ's teammate next year. Why should I care if he gets 105 against my team?

Because of the lax rules, because of the correspondingly less mental and physical wear and tear on MJ throughout the game, because of the less competitive nature of the NBA due to fatter contracts, more endorsements money and free agency, and because of his special treatment from the refs, MJ would, relatively speaking (think track), shatter, not break, Chamberlin's 100 point record. Hell, Stern would probably call the gamesite and tell them (the refs and the opposing coach, via a messenger) to let him break it if he was on pace in the 3rd quarter.

The game is not primarily about competition any more, it's about $$$ and bling-bling. Ask Tyrus Thomas. It's about sneaker contracts before proving anything, ask Lebron. Hell, ask Stephon or Sebastian Telfair.

And that's why guys like me - basketball purists, one of Simmons' '19,' haven't been able to stand it recently. Not because we're racist, not because we're 'haters,' and not because we're nostalgic. Because we're tired of hype, and guys getting rewarded for hype. We're the same guys who rolled our eyes when Koncak got his BS contract back in the 80's. That's where I'm coming from.

I love this game, always have. It was always my favorite sport to watch. But it was crap in the 1990's, really bottoming out in the NYK-Rockets series (and I'm a Rockets fan) of 1995. Only transcendent guys like MJ, Hakeem, Barkley, etc. saved its ass through that decade, and that's because they had the right work ethic and focus to do so. They overcame the limitations of the rules of the time. They earned their endorsement deals.

Like I said, I'm happy with the direction the league is going in now. Phoenix is a joy to watch, as is Dallas. They're on the right track, and hopefully it will continue.

Because it sucked for about 12 years or so. We all saw it with our own eyes. Revisionist history is nice, but even it has limits.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This is a microcosm of what is wrong with America.

No... he didn't "mistake your comment."

You misspoke.

Admit it and move on.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I think he's got you there, Rok.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference in 81 . . . and 100.

And since Jordan's career high was 69, he would have had to basically have a game 50% ABOVE HIS CAREER BEST to pass Chamberlain.

To continue your track analogy, that would be like a high jumper with a career-best of 8 feet suddenly jumping 12 feet.

It may be a little easier to score today . . . but not that much easier.

To score 100, you also have to 1) play 48 minutes and 2) take it easy on defense to conserve energy. It was a lot easier for Chamberlain to play 48 minutes than it is for a guard who has to initiate the offense every possession AND play perimeter defense. And I believe Jordan was too much of a pro to relax on defense.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You know, Simon, I was going to debate your point, but it's not worth it. I know what I was thinking when I wrote 'crush,' but that's ok. I misspoke. If you read any of my stuff on here, you would see that I'm always willing to admit when I screw up and/or am wrong. But for your and Montezuma's sake, I misspoke. No problem.

You know what, BTE this is a great point. And I can't really argue against it. But Mike might be able to hang up his all-defense shoes for one night against the Raptors or another lousy team. Kobe did. :)

Like I said, anyone who really cares about and knows the sport as you obviously do is always good in my book. You've been defending the NBA all thread. Plus, you like the Colts and Manning. I just wanted to put my 2 cents out there. We can disagree on Wilt's record and MJ, no biggy to me. Peace. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted