1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the national media understand why KY fans are tired of Tubby?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Even Quin!

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Damn, how could I have forgotten him? Thank you for point out that glaring omission! :D

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sorry, great teams don't lose to Rick Majerus.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If Majerus had been out there on the floor trying to guard Vinsanity, I'd see your point.
    Otherwise ...

5. Freelance Hack

I'm sorry. How many Final Fours did Tubby Smith go to as a head coach prior to 1997-98? He was not a wunderkind. Rather, he was a good, solid coach given a veteran team. It's not like he had to do a whole lot of work with those kids.

And even without a second appearance in the Final Four, Tubby Smith has still coached well enough at Kentucky to the point that he does not deserve this criticism by the fans. If he wants to leave, I'd certainly understand it, but UK would be hard pressed to find someone Tubby's equal or better.

Hell, considering how long UK fans put up with Rich Brooks, you'd think they'd appreciate a good coach when they see one.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Still waiting for those four names

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Phew, boy. Here we go. Never did I think a fanboy from one of the many UK forums would sneak over here...

And I, for one, am glad you don't.

Most UK fans are idiots. They don't know the half of what goes on at that school.

You make it sound like he wanted to run one of the nation's elite programs straight into the ground.

8. Freelance Hack

There aren't four. There aren't any -- at least who would be considered "attainable."

Was just trying to think who might be considered a replacement candidate. You can go ahead and rule out people like Izzo and Donovan because they're not going anywhere. I'm not sure Bruce Pearl would be interested either.

Perhaps the most qualified attractive candidate would be someone like Tom Crean at Marquette. As long as we're spitballing here, and this thread definitely qualifies as spitballing, I'll throw out Steve Smith from Oak Hill Academy as well.

9. KYSportsWriter

I know you said you don't cover UK that much, but please stop with the "we" and "us" shit. You're a writer now (at least I think you are) and fanboyism is frowned upon.

Rondo? Morris? Crawford? Bradley? Yeah, everyone knows Tubby didn't bust his ass getting those guys to come to UK...

The players know how to play, they just aren't suited for Tubby Ball (aka throw the ball around as long as fucking possible before attempting to shoot the damn ball).

And now you know this type of shit should never have left the UK fanboy forums.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That said, it's not like the coaches I listed would have led Kentucky to a national title, let alone the Final Four or anywhere near it. Which is why I made the post -- not just anybody could coach a team to an NCAA Tournament title.

11. KYSportsWriter

Why the hell would Pearl want to leave Tennessee? Or Crean at Marquette for that matter?

Out of those three, the only one I can see leaving his current spot is Smith at Oak Hill. But I doubt Barnhardt (sp?) will fire Tubby this year and I doubt Tubby will resign anytime soon.

12. Freelance Hack

Maybe I think more highly of him than others, but I think Ralph Willard would have done well at Kentucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted