1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the national media understand why KY fans are tired of Tubby?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even for a Duke game?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Depends. If I have to sit near Carolina fans? Yes, even for a Duke game.

If I get to sit with people who breathe with their mouths closed and can compose a rational sentence, i.e. Duke fans? Then maybe. Just maybe.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ouch. That stings.

:'(

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The Dean Dome is, in a word, lame. By the description of Rupp, sounds similar. Alumni have the whole lower level full and show up in khakis and oxfords. Energy is fake and often sterile.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

App is right, the Dean Dome doesn't compare with Cameron, Allen Fieldhouse, Gallagher-Iba, etc. I've never been to Rupp, but I sat next to some UK beat guys once in Chapel Hill and they said it didn't compare. Last night they were playing NC State in a game that was close most of the way and when the players come on the video board pleading for noise they got polite applause. You can sit in the Dean Dome during a big game and have a conversation using your normal talking voice. At those other places you can yell at the guy next to you and he still might not hear you.

I'll agree with Sam, when this thread started it reminded me of NC State. Both coaches were plenty good for the respective schools, but the fans are ridiculous. I've made a prediction that Herb Sendek will be national coach of the year next year. ASU has lost a ton of games this year, but he's got a great recruiting class coming in and his team has been playing well here lately. He could take them to the NCAA Tournament next year and everyone will be marveling at the incredible turn around. I also believe he'll eventaully make a Final Four and that no matter what he does NC State fans will never admit they were wrong about him.

6. MiamiACC

MiamiACC New Member

The Dean Dome is actually much better now than it used to be. They're actually allowing students in bleachers downstairs, and the joint's getting noisier. Part of the problem with the Smith Center was the way it was built--the seats aren't tiered to give a similar view of the court (but higher) like in the RBC Center--they just go far back and keep going. Plus, the fact that the building was privately financed (something they played up hugely) meant that the big donors could sit at courtside in their baby blue barcaloungers and take naps during games if they wanted. The students were shoved upstairs and dispersed, leading to the famous Sam Cassell "cheese & wine crowd" comment. The funny thing is that anyone who remembers Carmichael Auditorium, their old building, knows that it was loud & sweaty.

There was a game a few years ago where an ice storm had hit the area and many season-ticket holders couldn't attend. They let students sit in those seats instead and even though the venue was half-full, it was 3 times as loud as usual.

If Cameron has had one positive influence, it's that most colleges have made an effort to follow their lead with a student section that's concentrated and loud. The "Izzone" at MSU is practically a note-for-note copy of Cameron's set-up, down to the cheers. It's not that Cameron is a particularly great building (it's old and not that comfortable) or that the fans are really that clever (most are kind of lame), it's that the students ring the floor, they never sit down, and they're always loud. That's the kind of atmosphere that every college club deserves to have.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Thanks to Gary Parrish's column for turning me on to this guy.

Link NSFW with the sound up.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The E-Rupption Zone at UK sucks. It's just one little section for the students and the band right next to them. Yeah, that was a real smart move, UK.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Not speaking of all the Kentucky fans, but I heard a guy once talking about being in the airport in Louisville when Tubby was hired and thinking he was Rick Majerus, only to see the shock in his eyes when a black man walked to the mike. Other than those 5-10 percent - who also sing My Old Kentucky Home with the word "darkies" still in the song - most people there just want no less than two national titles every three years and a damn good excuse why it wasn't three straight. For similar descriptions, see FOOTBALL: University of Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted