1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Mitchell Report give Rickey Henderson a shot at HOF history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There's going to be 7 percent or so of the voters who are complete fucking idiots, and will say "I'm not voting for Rickey, he didn't grant me interviews" or whatever for so long.

You know, the same guys who give the AL MVP to Mo Vaughn over Albert Belle in 1995. I cringed when that happened because it made us all look bad.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tom petty believes he'll come up short by about 6 percentage points.

3. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Rickey will emerge in baseball again. I think the Royals are looking for some speed. Basically, Rickey won't be eligible until 2021 or so.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

only if he starts taking HGH.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He had a Bonds- and Clemens-like beef up through his prime.

Educated guess.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in retrospect ... yeah.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think his last four seasons will prevent him from getting as many votes as he probably should. He'll be penalized for not being "great" from 2000-2003 and for being extremely arrogant. My guess is he'll get somewhere between 94 and 96 percent of the vote. Even with his 2,295 runs, 3,055 hits and 1,406 stolen bases -- a record that will never be broken -- won't be enough to push him past Tom Terrific.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well thank you. i think you're terrific, too.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really hate that reasoning. I understand it is part of baseball now. I just hate that it has come to that.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in retrospect, i gotta admit simon has a point. and you can blame the players for that reasoning, not me.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to give Dave Kingman another look.

Draft saved Draft deleted