1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Mitchell Report give Rickey Henderson a shot at HOF history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 15, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Specifically, a shot at entering the Hall with the largest percentage of the vote ever?

Five years ago, you could have made a very strong case for Bonds or Clemens getting at least 99 pct of the vote once they were eligible. Now induction on the first ballot is uncertain.

Rickey's chances at getting 98 pct or more of the vote seemed pretty slim given his well-earned rep as a distraction-creating flake and the creaky manner in which he finished his career. But he hasn't had a whiff of scandal around him. Doesn't mean he didn't use, of course, but if there's anyone dumb enough to leave a paper trail of evidence to his steroid usage, let's face it, it's Rickey. I realize that's a flimsy way to state a guy didn't use, but hey, George just outed a bunch of steroid users based on what two rats had to say.

Plus, Rickey's eligible to enter the Hall next year and no other newcomer even warrants consideration. So I'd imagine that would give his vote total an upward nudge as well.

Might voters who were reluctant to vote for Rickey given his quirks reconsider now that he's one of the few all-timers not tainted by something? Does he have a shot at exceeding Tom Seaver's record (98.84 pct)?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Rickey don't know. Rickey hopes so.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't wait for rickey's acceptance speech. It'll either be the shortest one on record or the longest, but it won't make a lick of sense either way.

And he'll probably demand a free car or something and then threaten not to show up unless the Hall renegotiates his deal.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He should have been a surefire Hall of Famer even before this. Best leadoff hitter in the history of the game.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, no doubt he was a surefire HOFer. Even if a percentage of the electorate wanted to punish him for his goofiness, I bet he'd still get 95 pct of the vote.

I wonder if he gets a lot more than that now, though, that a case can be made he's the cleanest superstar to play the game in the last 20 years.

6. dooley_womack1

I don't think he beats Seaver, but I would say he'd top out at 90 percent.

Now, does this roid stuff help Gossage's chances?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only 90 pct for Rickey? Or do you mean 98 pct?

I think Goose was a lock--or as close to a lock as a guy who's been on the ballot for eight years already can be--before this. Maybe this gets him in witih closer to 80 pct of the vote than 75 pct.

the guy who needs a boost from the Mitchell Report is Jim Rice, but I don't see it happening.

8. dooley_womack1

I meant 90. I think there'll be voters who won't vote for anybody, as a backlash

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I understand it from hearing HOF-vote historians like Kurkjian and others talk about it on ESPN all the time, there are several guys nearly every year who submit blank ballots ...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't need no press now man.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What is that, the "Nobody deserves to be voted in unanimously" crowd?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Frank Thomas also now gains a greater shot at getting in.

Draft saved Draft deleted