1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the election spell the end of FOX News dominance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Nov 11, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Limbaugh has been as relevant to national poltics as Imus since Clinton left. Both have been marginalized by their inclusion in the establishment. Between Limbaugh's drug abuse, expensive tastes and erectile disfunction, he's become a parody of right wing talk.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And the point is, people were asking the exact same question after a good election for the GOP.

By the way, when was Rush not a parody of right-wing talk?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just wish Lou Dobbs would give that subject a rest for one fucking night.

4. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

You know who I like? Geraldo. Now there's a guy who knows how to get a story. And as mustaches go, really, top notch.

5. If so, who's the serious right-wing talker?
    (This might be fun.)

6. doctor x

doctor x Member

So where's the love for Air America after the Dems sweep both houses? Has no one connected the dots?

7. JackS

JackS Member

Let's keep the hyperbole to a minimum. First of all, "tiny fraction" isn't even close to true, especially in prime time. Secondly, I don't think you have too many voters influenced by Sponge Bob.

I do agree with your overarching point that the cable newsers' influence is exaggerated, but you exaggerated too far in the other direction to try to make your point.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Michael Savage likes to say he is.

9. cortez

cortez Member

Are all the intelligent right-wingers on bye week?

10. They all LIKE to say it. That's half the shtick. And it keeps folks from finding out that they're really just failed DJs (Limbaughs) or crank patent-medicine salesmen (Savage), or knee-jerk apparatchik-ettes (The various blondes.)
    It's also why O'Reilly occasionally throws out the info that he actually did go to Harvard.

11. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Yeah, we've told you a million times to stop exagerating!!!!!

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Really?

Week of March 3, 2003 -- the war in Iraq is just about to start, so one can assume news viewership is, if anything, higher than normal.

Average viewers throughout the day:

Nickelodeon: 504,000
    TV Guide Channel: 10,000
    Fox News Channel: 8,000

Now, there are many ways to examine the numbers, and they're much more complimentary to Fox and the other news channels if you focus on prime time and lower the bar for "viewership." But I think "tiny fraction" seems pretty fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted