1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does SC Acctually Make Athletes try to get on the top play highlights?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FantasyAlliance.cm, Nov 21, 2006.

1. I was reading more crap from Page 2, and one writer said that Sport Center can be blamed for poor tackling, bad decision-making at QB, and lack of fundamentals in basketball because the players try to hard to make the top plays. I just can't envision a player thinking that they have to make the highlights. When Aaron Brooks is down by 3 with 20 seconds left and a shot at a field goal, he's not going to throw into double coverage to make the amazing game-winning Sports Center pass as the article says; he's going to throw the pass into double coverage because he wants to win, and he made a mistake.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The argument usually goes that young players don't practice the fundamentals because they're all trying to learn to dunk because that's what they see on the highlights. Therefore, they never learn to shoot, pass or defend well and the game's quality declines.

3. Nevermind about basketball. They might have a point there, but with football I don't see it. The arguement he made is that QBs throw too many interceptions because they try to make a big play all the time and make Sports Center. Now, even if a young QB kept trying to make too many big plays (as many young QBs do whether or not they are thinking about SC), they would be able to have their decision-making skills improved in the pros.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That argument is absolutely true for the NBA.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Aaron Brooks makes bad throws because he sucks, not because of SportsCenter

6. stevenash

stevenash Member

i'll agree with fantasy here. but, the only problem i see is that goin on SC is the only way underated plyaers get noticed or if people watch them on t.v. i don't watch the games usually so i watch SC, and the people who r shown r the people that usually did good

7. Football presents almost no opportunity to make this kind of calculation. Too much is happening too fast. (I presume we're not counting end-zone celebrations and the like, right?) Basketball, on the other hand, has that split second before the dunk when you're open and you can choose what to do.
    Alma's right, but I don't think it's too damn terrible.

8. stevenash

stevenash Member

true, but what u said is rite too. basketball, its a lot easier to make big plays i.e. dunks, because no-one plays defense, in the NFL its a lot harder because you've 22 players usually playing their hardest. so u can't make many big plays when 11 guys are coming to tackle u

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Interesting if you watch top plays on SportsCenter this morning, Steve Levy throws in a snarky line, to the effect, "still waiting for a two-handed chest pass to make top plays," etc., etc. This thread came to mind immediately.

10. stevenash

stevenash Member

yeah that was weird

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

True only of basketball, but it is a problem there.

You could make quite a lengthy tape of blown dunks from the past 10-15 years.

12. stevenash

stevenash Member

yeah mostly Yao, cuz he gets blocked by people that are 2'4"

Draft saved Draft deleted