1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Rubin have a problem?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The e-mail reference was telling, I thought. There may be more here than meets the eye, fueled by a strong and understandable dislike for Minaya and the idea that he tried to jump one of "us."

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Daily News should be pissed at Rubin for so blatantly going about a possible exit strategy

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Chass' take is on point.

He nails it here:

=====================

But of course there’s a conflict of interest. I’m not suggesting that Rubin wrote the stories to undermine Bernazard, but whatever his intention was in speaking to Mets’ officials about working in baseball Rubin created a situation that raised questions about his motives. That’s certainly how Minaya saw it, and he was justified in thinking that way. Rubin was wrong for not understanding it.

=========================

No matter how you look at it, Rubin was wrong for soliciting career advice from the people he covers.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Funny how quiet clutchcargo has been on this topic the last couple days.

Chamberlain: 3-0, 0.83 ERA, 18 baserunners, 19 Ks in 21 2/3 innings in three starts since the Break
    Hughes: 21 straight scoreless innings over his last 16 outings

Stupid New York media! Always hyping players who aren't worth it! And the city has mean scary people and freaks on the subway too!!!

Stick to parroting easily disproven Republican talking points on the politics board instead of infecting the rest of this place with it, please.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent with Chass, who did a good job reporting about the incident rather than just blindly coming to the defense of a fellow reporter because, well, he's a fellow reporter.

Rubin has no one to blame but himself for putting himself in this situation. Like Bernazard, he's responsible for his actions.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Like someone said, if you cover a baseball beat, you spend a lot of time around these people. I covered a major college beat for seven seasons, and we had all kinds of conversations. I asked questions about how people get into baseball jobs in the majors and minors. Coaches asked me how one becomes a sportswriter. We talked about the luck involved, the hard work, and all manner of ins and outs. Never did I think I was perhaps helping one of them get a job at my newspaper, nor did I ever suggest I wanted a job at the college. They knew that.

Asking directly how to get a job with the college team? Yeah, that would have been a no-no for someone covering the beat for a daily newspaper. But I'm comfortable with all of the conversations we had, and my coverage was never compromised. I continued to cover the team fairly and objectively.

All I'm saying is it seems Adam is saying he asked about the nature of baseball careers and the mechanics of getting one, and Omar is saying he asked how he could get a job with the Mets. Big difference, HUGE difference, and it looks to me like Chass believes Omar's version, even after asking for both sides.

Others clearly disagree with me. That's fine.

7. I agree with many here Rubin was wrong. Chass is spot on.

Any idea if there has been any fallout yet? Is he still covering the Mets?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I can't be convinced, but Chass' piece didn't do anything to convince me. New evidence could, but that piece didn't. It just called Adam a bad boy.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right, b/c newspapers are so safe and secure and the people who run them so caring about their employees.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The fact that there's a public discussion about this side story clearly demonstrates that Rubin created a conflict of interest for himself. Neither the Mets nor the public can be totally sure whether Rubin had an agenda in writing the stories and, sorry, but you can't take Adam's word at face value anymore than you can take Omar's word. Most people, myself included, are going to believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've been carefully examining the evidence and still don't see where rubin "lobbied" for a job with the mutts. i've seen/heard tell that he asked some of those he covered how someone would go about trying to break into the baseball organizational aspect of the biz -- perhaps even via e-mail -- but has seen/heard no evidence that he ever asked anyone with the mutts about working for them.

i've got no horse in this race. i don't know adam, from, well, adam. i know and respect murray. but i don't see where any sacred code of ethics was broken here.

12. I'm not going to say it's a sacred codes of ethics.. it's just bad form and I think it crossed the line.
    Cran is right the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but I beleive Rubin should have sought opinions outside his beat. Chass nailed it right there.

Has there been any punishment for Rubin? Is he still covering the Mets?

Draft saved Draft deleted