1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Rubin have a problem?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Jul 27, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The New York media in general, not just Rubin, has a credibility problem. They have helped brainwash much of American into believing that Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes are the greatest pitching prospects in the history of the world. This has been going on for three years, stories of how great their potential is. I suppose we'll still be hearing this when they are both on the high side of 30. It really does get tiresome.

2. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Love that parting shot; Only one man got fired Monday. Their guy, Bernazard.

Also, the Post story doesn't even mention that Minaya and Rubin had a back-and-forth. Their delightful commenters are ripping them for it, of course.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009/sports/mets/mets_fire_tony_bernazard_181638.htm

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Minaya is far from done. In fact, he might have earned a contract extension today by doing Jeffy's dirty work for him ... again!
    Rubin said he never talked to Minaya about a job but did have conversations with Jeffy about how does one get a postion in MLB player development.
    This whole fiasco today was orchestrated by someone a friend of mine who ran concessions at Shea for a number of years (but was not allowed to go to Citi Field because Jeffy told Aramark he didn't want him there) calls "the worst human being I have ever met."
    Once again, Minaya, who was given "total autonomy" by Fred when he was hired, is now nothing more than Jeffy's puppet because Jeff Wilpon is a piece of shit but Omar likes cashing his paychecks.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not as tiresome as your New York bashing. Damn liberal city/media!

If you paid any attention at all instead of parroting whatever cliche you guys are buying into at this moment, you'd know most of NY--media and otherwise--is losing patience with Joba.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

My Google skills are admittedly weak. But anyone got a video of the Minaya-Rubin exchange?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon, you stupid dickhead. You should know by now that all the jerks who rant about NY bias have no freaking clue what actually goes on with the New York media.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Last year Joel Sherman couldn't contain his glee over the trade that brought Nady and Marte from the Pirates. They got two important pieces and gave up nothing -- secondary pitchers they would never miss and a Class AA OF whose stock had fallen terribly. This spring, Nady got hurt and Marte blew. Sherman writes another column about what a horrible deal the Yankees made, that they gave up valuable prospects and got an injured Nady and crappy Marte in return.

Typical.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

FWIW, I think if all you know is journalism and baseball, it's natural to wonder about working in baseball.

I admit I had some casual conversations with the baseball people I covered after I got laid off from my newspaper job. (after being a key distinction.) Nothing ever came of it, not that I really figured it would. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask before I applied at Starbucks.

Now I'm a baseball writer again. So I hope I never have to report on one of the people I talked to taking his shirt off to fight a Double-A team.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Adam responds, admits he's "too flat." ;)
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/07/28/2009-07-28_undressing_mets.html

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No, I'd say he didn't ...

Ouch!

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://web.sny.tv/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v222062.c22206.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/22206/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/22206/2009/daily/07/072709_nym_omarpresser_800.wmv.wmv&type=v_free&vid=8852&_mp=1

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Minaya's handling of this situation was reprehensible and stupid. No question about it. He wanted to make Rubin look bad either get revenge for forcing his hand with Bernazard or to deflect attention from that situation and instead he made himself and the Mets look much worse.

That said, Rubin shouldn't have gone to anybody with the Mets for career advice. I do think it compromises his ablity to do his job and he opened himself up to the Minaya's attack.

Draft saved Draft deleted