1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Rubin have a problem?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Jul 27, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This certainly isn't the first time a beat writer has had a public ordeal with a GM or other exec.

Unless you're worried that the readers will think the coverage will now be biased against the Mets, I'm not sure you have to take Rubin off the beat.

2. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

At first I thought he was going to get canned, but after hearing him, I think Omar took a little creative license with what he was told Adam Rubin was talking to Mets personnel about.

Rubin appeared on SNY -- a network that the Mets partially own -- after all this went down and said that he'd never spoken with Omar Minaya directly about any jobs with the team.

He then said that Mets boss Jeff Wilpon asked him if he were interested in working for SNY and wanted to set up a meeting but Rubin declined. For what it's worth, SNY has a stable of writers appearing on its shows, and has a show called "Daily News Live", so maybe Wilpon was asking him about something along those lines.

He also said that years ago he asked a couple of people involved with the Mets "How do you get involved in baseball?" and likened it to people in baseball asking him, "How did you get involved in journalism?" Said they never spoke about a specific job.

He didn't cover the game tonight, and I would think that he'd probably have a hard time covering the team the rest of the year. I wonder if they'd just do a straight switch with him on the Mets and Feinsand on the Yanks.

Pretty good headline on a Bondy column that jumps from the News' homepage: Cheap Shot Heard 'Round The World.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/07/27/2009-07-27_bondy_cheap_shot.html

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

minaya exposed himself as a grade-a, thin-skinned dick and an idiot to boot. two hours after the presser he and and jeff wilpon entered the press box so omar could apologize. sorry, too late. i'd say omar is a goner but who knows? it's the mets, after all. ::)

rubin had left the building by that point:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2009/07/ny_mets_gm_omar_minaya_apologe.html

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I don't think I would have been able to accept an apology.

5. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Watching the presser on SportsCenter. Rubin comes off as surprisingly cool and calm about the whole thing, and Omar seems almost nervous and tentative when he goes after him. His hands are shaking. He shows signs of someone making baseless accusations to deflect criticism.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Wally Matthews isn't shy:
    http://newsday.com/columnists/wallace-matthews/dumb-and-dumber-steal-mets-show-again-1.1330844

8. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Worked with Adam a long time ago. If I were starting a sports section, I'd want him in the department.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

leave it to the mutts to send every newspaper columnist in n.y. drooling at ripping them for attacking a competitor. don't mess with newspaper folks -- we take care of one another, dammit!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

and this from george vecsey. can't wait to see if even the post comes to rubin's defense:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/28/sports/baseball/28vecsey.html?_r=1&ref=sports

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow. He didn't pull any punches.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Minaya is done. Who was the last successful Mets GM?

Draft saved Draft deleted