1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does one typo kill a clip?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoos3725, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I've got a clip that I like a decent amount. But the problem is that when it ran in the print edition, it had a typo. The word said "including" when it should've said "include."

Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure the typo came from the desk, not me.

Should I no longer use the clip?

On the website, however, the typo was fixed. That sort of opens up a whole other can of worms on clips from websites and how they can potentially differ from the original version. Kinda goes against the basic idea of clip.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

1) Pet peeve of mine: That's not a typo, just an error.

2) You never know who cares about what, but I don't think most hiring editors have a problem with web clips these days.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Y s.

It can, if the clip's really short.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dude, use the online clip and change it.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Or find the paginated page on your paper's server, fix it, print it and work off that as a clip.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or do it the old fashioned way.

Just have a little smudge where the typo is --- or a tiny tear in the paper.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have this issue with one of my clips that I like. The headline writer (not me) mistakenly put the guy's wrong hometown in the headline and it made it into print. Afterwards, I made a PDF of the page with both the inaccurate headline, and I changed it to the accurate headline.

Would it be wrong for me to use the PDF with the changed headline, especially considering it didn't end up that way in print?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sneaky!

10. From Yahoo....

[quote7. Be careless with details
    Reckless job hunters rarely make for conscientious workers. As such, even promising resumes must abide by age-old dictums: typo-free, proper organization, and no embellishment. Susan Whitcomb, author of Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer, says that almost 80 percent of HR managers she surveyed said they would dismiss otherwise qualified candidates who break these rules. She tells the story of one would-be employer who, when looking for an assistant, decided not to hire anyone because every resume she received contained typos.][/quote]

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Survival of the fittest. Do what will make you survive in the job hunt. Change it. It's not wrong. What's wrong is thinking a company will hire you when you know about the mistake and don't fix it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's bad karma. Editors know you don't write the headlines. You change that and you'll probably misspell the city.

Draft saved Draft deleted