1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Obama love America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does he?

I keep hearing liberals attack the question, but I don't hear many pointing to evidence that he does love the country.

Shouldn't it be an easy question to answer?

When we look at the people who shaped his beliefs, from his mother and father, to his mentors like Frank Marshal Davis, Bill Ayers, and the Rev. Wright, we see people who left America, tried to overthrow it, communists, and people who condemned America.

His wife was never proud of her country until her husband was running for the office of President.

Obama doesn't believe in American exceptionalism, at least as opposed to the way Greeks might believe in Greek exceptionalism.

Obama compares what happened in Ferguson, MO to the worst human rights abuses around the globe.

He draws moral equivalency between America's history, with slavery and Jim Crow, and the Islamic State's decapitation of Christians, and rape and enslavement of Yazidis.

I believe that America, and our military, has been the greatest force to spread peace, freedom, and democracy across the globe. Does Obama even believe we are a net positive?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think he loves our country a great deal. Especially for a guy who wasn't even born here ... :p

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

What the fuck is "American exceptionalism"?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you love your country Yankeefan?

I get the impression that people like yourself Tony and Baron would rather see your country fail if the wrong side is in power than succeed. Politics have become like a college football rivalry.

7. Dick Whitman

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I believe Republicans marginalize themselves a little more every time they bring up stupid shit like this. YF is a case in point.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That is batshit insane.

We overthrow democratically elected governments at a whim. We've been a funder and supporter of terrorists for more than a generation. We are pathologically hypocritical when it comes to letting other nations determine their own course (they're good if they are changing toward our side, evil if they vote to side with someone not with us). Al-Qaeda and ISIS are Made in the USA.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. Disagree with me.

Who/what is?

And, is America a net good, or a net evil?

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Haven't you been reading your Oklahoma-issued AP US History text? We're evil. :D

12. Dick Whitman

I believe that the United States has been a net good, certainly. However, there is nothing inherent about it. Smart people have worked hard at that. Sometimes they stumble. Most of the time, thankfully, they don't.

What am I actually supposed to think? How does this vary from American "exceptionalism"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.