1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does no calls really mean no calls?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Cold Blood, Apr 20, 2007.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

When I was the SE at an 8K circulation daily, we had a job opening for a sportswriter position. We had close to 100 applicants. If every one of those people -- or even half -- had called, I'm almost positive I would have killed myself.

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Tyler,
    That's what I assumed, but I'm new to the game and am still trying to figure out how to get my name out there without getting in people's way... and I wasn't at all implying that a potential boss is an asshole because he doesn't want calls... In fact, its just the opposite - I'm trying to avoid making myself look like an asshole.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I was harkening back to the earlier argument, when someone implied that any boss who says "no calls" was a giant asshole. Certainly wasn't suggesting those were your thoughts. You're just a newbie who wants a job and doesn't want to step on any toes...nothing wrong with that. Actually, it's kind of pragmatic.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

This is the thread from a few months ago. One of the worst trolls in SportsJournalists.com history plays a large role...http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29818/

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you want to communicate with a SE, email them every time... If they want to call you, they'll do so at their convenience. If you call them, you may catch them on the way to a meeting or whatever and you'll feel like they blew you off when that was never the intention...

Even with my own boss, when I call, I always start with "Am I catching you at a bad time?"

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

It's pretty standard for HR types to add the "no calls" line. Follow it, but that doesn't mean you can't e-mail. That's the best option.

7. Taylee

Taylee Member

No shit, you really had about 100 applicants. Hats off to you and the paper for evoking that kind of response.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck it. if an SE can't field an outside phone call or 93 a day, he probably ain't worth workin' with. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted