1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does no calls really mean no calls?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Cold Blood, Apr 20, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Forgive me, but I'm a newbie...

When it says in a job ad "no calls", how does one followup? I hate to blatantly disobey the order to not call, but at the same time I'd like to show my interest in the position and make sure my stuff got there ok... is an e-mail appropriate? should I call anyway?

In my limited experience, nobody e-mails back anyway, so I feel like I'm just sending my resume out to the world with no response.

Suggestions?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I e-mailed when it's said no calls. And I got the job.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Please don't call. Please.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Would you say a short e-mail is okay, fish?

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If you really want to stand out, send a letter through the postal service. Seriously.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

E-mail is fine. Reminding them of YOUR number is fine.

Calling when it says "no-calls" says you either can't follow directions, or you're arrogant. And neither impression is helpful.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Absolutely. I expect it.
    If I were on the other end, and spent the time assembling and appending clips and/or a portfolio, took the time to make it digital or took the money to send it, I would want confirmation it arrived.
    I don't want to make this a rule, but a phone call can be intrusive (because of its immediacy). An email can be answered when I have a moment.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's always been my thought. I know reporters and editors at my newspaper have the ability to check mail from home. And I was receiving e-mails at late hours during the hiring process. So, I assume that's the ME was doing.

I always send it priority, so someone has to sign for it.

9. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

ok, makes sense... I'll stick to e-mails...

I just wondered because people always say that in this business people don't hand you jobs, you have to go get them. I've heard that hiring people like to see initiative in the potential hire...
    so I guess I was seesawing on how to show that interest and initiative without intruding...

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Go old school:

[​IMG]

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A-freaking-men.

rb

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

This came up a few months ago and the thread went on for pages and pages.
    Look, someone says don't call, don't call. You're not showing initiative or showing you're aggressive. You're showing that you can't understand simple directions. And because a potential boss doesn't want phone calls from job candidates, it's not a red flag that he's a giant asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted