1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does McCain understand the premise of Social Security?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 9, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

MCCAIN: Actually, what I'm hearing from voters right now is that they're worried about keeping their job, they want to keep their taxes low, they're worried about health care, they're worried about staying in their home, and they want to us figure out - that's what I'm hearing from voters all over America as I do town hall meetings everywhere. That's what I'm hearing from them, that's what I'm going to address. That we can do it through growing our economy and creating new jobs.

ROBERTS: Senator, I'm sure you're also hearing from them about social security. Because you say that part of this plan, if you're going to balance the budget, is to reform social security. You've talked about the idea of private accounts, as President Bush tried to get through and couldn't. What else would you do to reform social security?

MCCAIN: I would sit down with democrats and republicans the way Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill did in 1983. And they said, OK, we've got everything on the table here, let's come to an agreement. The approval rating of Congress right now 12 percent last time I saw. I know how to work across the aisle, I've done it with democrats and I've done it for many, many years. We'll sit down across the table with the backing of the American people.

ROBERTS: But do you have any idea on what you can do?

MCCAIN: On the privatization of accounts, which you just mentioned, I would like to respond to that. I want young workers to be able to, if they choose, to take part of their own money which is their taxes and put it in an account which has their name on it. Now, that's a voluntary thing, it's for younger people, it would not affect any present-day retirees or the system as necessary. So let's describe it for what it is. They pay their taxes and right now their taxes are going to pay the retirement of present-day retirees. That's why it's broken, that's why we can fix it. We can do it together, republicans and democrats alike.

Huh? Social Security is broken because it's ... Social Security?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Please go away; I'll pay you.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

In what? Miller Lite and old pizza boxes? :D

4. pallister

pallister Guest

And sleeveless shirts, yes.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

McCain's wounded himself with his aimless, witless economic babble this week.

At least he spoke the truth earlier, regarding his broad ignorance re the topic.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

As a side note, McCain was the only Senator today who didn't show up today to vote on a key Medicare bill. Yes, even Ted Kennedy was on the floor to vote.

But at least he made a funny joke about killing Iranians with cigarettes!

Draft saved Draft deleted