1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Koran Justify Terror?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Re: The Koran justifies Killing

I would agree with you entirely Okie. I have no place for the death penalty in my decision to follow Jesus. I'll let God deal with everyone else's eternity, just as He will deal with mine. Eternal salvation is not my right. It is a gift of Grace from a loving Father.

2. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

I don't know. I am certain I would die if that's what it took to take care of my family.
    If I were in a situation where the ONLY way I could do it was to kill people (whom I considered infidels and enemies of God), I don't know that I wouldn't do that as well.
    It would take a lot of pushing, but I've also grown up in a completely different society than they have. I have lots of hope. They have none.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Any adult telling any adult on this board to shut the $%^& up is hateful and wrong. It hardly speaks to the character and integrity of your beliefs and certainly does nothing to honor someone else's right to choose their own belief.
    If you want respect, give respect.
    If you want tolerance, give tolerance.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What is this, anti-Islamic bashing thread # 1,459?

I guess it's the SportsJournalists.com monthly meeting of the Islamic scholars.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

There is some truth to what you said. Yeah, there are some people that do it for the money and all that.
    But it's deeper than that.
    People don't realize how good these terrorists had it before they met Bin Laden. Mohammad Atta lived in what we would call, the suburbs. He had the good life. He went to college and became a succesful engineer. But at one point in his life, he started to get lost(depression, why am i alive, etc.) Later on, he met up with some Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda told him "God put you on this earth to go blow yourself up". See you gotta understand, Al Qaeda is like a cult. They don't just go after random people. That would be ridicoulous. You'd have to have some SERIOUS problems to be willing to go and blow yourself up. They go after the weak and make them feel like they're kings.
    The media over there dosn't help either. The middle east is an excellent example of how the media can control things. You'd be amazed at some of the stuff they put on there. You'd have respected papers come out with "Al Gore is a Jew, he's gonna take over the world" and "9/11 was planned by the Jews". So people start reading this and say "You know what, this is bullshit. America sucks etc."

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sorry for the confusion, I'm agreeing with what you articulated.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

At this current moment in time, the majority of extremist Christians are neutralized and relegated to the B-leagues of terrorist activity. The Islamic extremists have a lot more flash and have brought their cause to the forefront with multiple attacks in large accord.

Now, that doesn't mean the UVF and IRA have ceased their finger and gun pointing, but they have tailed down a little bit.

I will also say that just because someone declares something about their religion (ie "Jesus was the Prince of Peace") doesn't mean it really applies to all that follow that religion. This is the reason that there are Baptists and Presbyterians and Sunnis and Shi'ites and Orthodox and Hasidic, etc, etc.

8. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

What a comical turn.
    I, as a Christian, have taken a step toward defending Islamic terrorists.
    Chuck, a Muslim, has knocked down one of my justifications.

9. Simon_Cowbell

He wasn't disrespecting the tome.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I am anti death-penalty also.

Only because it not a torturous process anymore.

No point in spending all that appeal money and time just so these guys can eat a lobster dinner, unload a manifesto and then get some beddy-bye Sominex-plus.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Below is from story in the Times. I will note quote full story but it does site verses of Koran that Muslims extremists use to justify their muderous acts.

If you want to see rest I guess you will have to register with the Times.

Rule No. 1: You can kill bystanders without feeling a lot of guilt.

The Koran, as translated by the University of Southern California Muslim Student Association’s Compendium of Muslim Texts, generally prohibits the slaying of innocents, as in Verse 33 in Chapter 17 (Isra’, The Night Journey, Children of Israel): “Nor take life, which Allah has made sacred, except for just cause.”

But the Koran also orders Muslims to resist oppression, as verses 190 and 191 of Chapter 2 (The Cow) instruct: “Fight in the cause of Allah with those who fight with you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors. And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out, for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. ...”

In the typical car bombing, some Islamists say, God will identify those who deserve to die — for example, anyone helping the enemy — and send them to hell. The other victims will go to paradise. “The innocent who is hurt, he won’t suffer,” Dr. Massari says. “He becomes a martyr himself.”

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Boom, with some of these verses, it's better that you read the whole line(and maybe some before) to realize what the true meaning is.

Here are some about the prohibition of murder:

"..Take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that ye may learn wisdom." (al-An'am 6:151)

"Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, We have given his heir authority (to demand Qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the law)" (al-Isra' 17:33)

There is also a part in the Quran that says that if you kill one person unjustly, it is like killing all of humanity.

Like I metioned before, what the author mentioned was just a part of the whole verse. Here is the whole thing:

"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors. And kill them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, kill them. Such is the reward of those who reject faith. But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression. The prohibited month, for the prohibited month, and so for all things prohibited, there is the law of equality. If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, transgress ye likewise against him. But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves." (al-Baqarah 2:190-194)

These verses were revealed to Muhammad(from Allah) during the time when Muslims were being attacked by the non-Muslims of Mecca(they weren't christian or jews. they worshipped idols) on a regular basis. They were treating Muslims like slaves. If the non Muslims of Mecca found out that you were a Muslim, they would behead you right in front of your family. So during these times, they were given permission to go and fight back.

EDIT:
    Here is something else that came out during that same war. It'll give you a better idea:

"They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): so take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (from what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks. Except those who join a group between whom and you there is a treaty (Of peace), or those who approach you with hearts restraining them from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. If Allah had pleased, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you: therefore if they withdraw from you but fight you not, and (instead) send you (guarantees of) peace, then Allah hath opened no way for you (to war against them). Others you will find that wish to gain your confidence as well as that of their people: every time they are sent back to temptation, they succumb thereto; if they withdraw not from you nor give you (guarantees) of peace besides restraining their hands, seize them and slay them wherever ye get them; in their case We have provided you with a clear argument against them. (Al-Nisa' 4:89-91)

Draft saved Draft deleted