1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Koran Justify Terror?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

Please google, "Rudolph, Eric" and "Krar, William."
    Thank you.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Re: The Koran justifies Killing

Fenian...don't forget Tim McVeigh. Who else?

3. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

Jesus was a man of peace -- the Prince of Peace.
    The New Testament is clearly against killing.
    I won't talk about Islam, because I don't know nearly as much about it (or Mohammed), but Christians should never be killing. It's clearly anti-Christian.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I just read the article.

There is nothing in Quran that actually states "Go out there kill the first Christian you see". The killing talked about in the Quran has to do with being in war(perticulary the war between the Muslims and people in Mecca during the Prophet Muhammad's time).
    Here's something that will explain some of those verses:

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Junkie my bad.....I just want Fenian to get the 3-4 names of "Christian terrorists" out of the way, so he can try his hardest to persuade us that they are just as much a threat to the world as Islamic terrorists.

6. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

I suggest you take up your views on the New Testament and killing with all those Christian pastors so devoted to the death penalty.
    And, junk, ease up. The original question was about using sacred scripture -- the Bible, the Koran, the Baghavad-Gita -- to justify killing. Boom -- and, as nearly as I can tell, you -- insist that the Koran as part of its fundamental message justifies killing. This, to me, is pure bigotry, gussied up on the NYT viewpoint pages or not, as Chuck points out.
    And ashy, there are New Rules about distorting positions. Please read them, and then shut the fuck up.

7. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

I actually have done just that with a few. I'm anti-death penalty in all cases. My Christianity is part of the reason for that.
    Jesus said to turn the other cheek. God says, "Vengeance is mine."
    I'd have to look it up, but I believe the justification that Christians give for capital punishment all comes from the Old Testament, not the New.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Chuck....I found the clip informative, but those are actors.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

distorting your position fenian? Please.

I think there's also rules on personal attacks........telling me to shut the fuck up would probably qualify.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

That's not the point. :D
    Does every single Muslim act like that guy? Hell no(especially over seas). What Im trying to say is this. Islam isn't the reason for 9/11. Bin Laden is the reason for 9/11.

11. Re: The Koran justifies Killing

I'd argue it's even more the poverty in the Middle East. Bin Laden certainly is the PERSON most responsible, but I think if his followers weren't living in a society where they have virtually nothing to look forward to in this life, they might not be so quick to kill themselves and others to get their 70 virgins.
    Also keep in mind that their families are paid for their service.
    What would you do to provide for your family? Whatever it takes? Me too.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

For one thing, calling it the $%^&#@! Bible is direspectful, no matter what you believe.
    For another, the New Testament and the gospel Jesus brought does not justify killing. It preaches sacrificial love and forginess. Just because some so-called Christians (even self-serving pastors) don't live that way doesn't mean the message itself is wrong. There are pharisees within every religion, sect and denomination.

Draft saved Draft deleted