1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Koran Justify Terror?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: The Koran justifies Killing

Like the Constitution?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Since Timothy McVeigh, name one such incident....
    The body count by Islamic terrorists and extremists vastly dwarfs that of any other religion in the last 25 years.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I am a devoutly unreligious person. Pretty objective here.

How anyone can argue this is far, far beyond me.

4. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

You mean this? "Thou shalt not kill." (Exodus 20:13)

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think zeemer covets thy neighbors dog.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly. We advanced our civilization forward. But if you look back at when that occurred and why that occurred you will find that the more moderate Christians (although most weren't) were at the helm.

Thomas Jefferson gave numerous speeches to the idea that God wasn't involved in his writings. Ben Franklin wasn't too keen on the God concept either. So, as it were, you didn't have a Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson individual writing up our laws.

I think that you would agree that were Robertson and Falwell behind the writing of the Constitution our nation would be very different than what we have. I would venture to guess that it wouldn't be so different than that of Iran's or Saudi Arabia's.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You have to wonder, though, with the evolution of Christianity, that perhaps Islam might slowly, gradually become just as moderate and tempered. Not in 50 years certainly, because it took Christianity a hell of a lot longer than that, and there's still plenty of atrocity carried out in God's name even today.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes again! I think we're on a roll here.

Falwell and Robertson were the types of people that Jefferson and Franklin found disgusting, but those types did exist back then. We did have The Great Awakening which brought to existence Mormonism and many other sects of Christianity.

Our big difference being that the ones making the decisions were the moderates not the extremists. And yes, the ocean doesn't keep people away easily enough these days.

AA, you make a solid point. I believe that Iran was moving towards that direction pre-Iraq invasion. There were many articles written about the progressives and the education of the youth.

I won't say that it isn't still happening, because the ideology of liberty, justice, freedom, etc, is a very powerful one. But, the propagation of those ideas will take a bit longer as generation after generation is brought up in an environment where school text books are essentially stories from the Koran.

9. Boom_70

When acts of atrocity are committed by Christians in name of Christianity, the majority will speak out against the evil.

You do not see this in the Muslim world to a great extent. Until it does you will not see the violence stop. Egypt took a stand and booted the radical Muslims out. Unfortunately they all ended up causing havoc in other parts of world that were more sympathetic to their cause.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Eric Rudolph.

11. Boom_70

That is true and from reading Times story it will be all justified in name of allah. There are parts of the world that do not have violent muslim populations. The US is one example. While groups have spoken out here I've not seen it to any grand scale.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The link won't work for me.
    Can someone actually show me what the line is and(if it's possible) where it is in the Quran?

Draft saved Draft deleted