1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Jesus care about poker?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 18, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Someone with more specific knowledge of those sects can chime in, but they are the only ones I know off the top of my head that view gambling specifically as sin. As Two pointed out, Catholics are decidely pro-gambling -- as long as the proceeds go to the church.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

The bible doesn't deal with gambling directionly. I found this online, which might help:

Greed is bad (I Timothy 6:6-10; Hebrews 13:5-6; Ephesians 5:5). Laziness is bad (Proverbs 6:6; 2 Thessalonians 3:10). Getting something not yours without working for it (unless given as a gift or inheritance) – bad (Ephesians 4:28)! Losing control of yourself (note the addictive nature of gambling) – bad (Proverbs 25:28; 2 Timothy 3:2-4; I Peter 5:8)! If these are the base motives for engaging in gambling (and let’s be honest – for most people one or a combination of the above indeed are), then gambling is out of the question.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

St. Anselm hits on the soft 16.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Damn, I thought that was Waingro from Heat.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You tryin' to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Pope makes his 8 the hard way in the main room at the Venetian. "Il Pappa needs a new pair of shoes of the fisherman!"

[​IMG]

For entertainment purposes only. Photo of Pope shooting craps probably not real.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

WFW
    I certainly don't claim to have any sort of special insight into how God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit thinks, but I would imagine they would be far more concerned about things like war, genocide and famine than the stupid-ass World Series of Poker.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Okay, this is the problem a lot of you guys seem to be having re: God. If God were a human being with the limitations that come with it, then yes, I could understand why you wouldn't think He would care about poker or football or the lottery in relation to Darfur or AIDS or any other worldwide atrocity. But for those of us who believe in a God that is both omnipotent and personal, why should it be so surprising? There's a passage in the Bible about how God has numbered all the hairs on our heads. If He can tell how your bald spot is developing, He can certainly care about what you're doing going all in on a 3-8 non-connected.

To say it's "stupid" for people to assume God cares about the little things in their life greatly underestimates both the worshipper and the God they worship.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Let's not start a holy war here ....

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I like to imagine jesus wearing a tuxedo shirt, becuase it says he can be formal but he's ready to party.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Of course, you miss the inherent contradiction. If God influences sporting events and poker tournaments, how does he decide who wins?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

MM, sorry if I offended with the "stupid" remark.

As a Christian, I think thanking God for an Ace on the river or a game-winning FG trivializes Him. And if you're going to thank Him for that stuff, shouldn't you offer praise to God when you're the winning eBay bidder? Or when you find a really good tomato at the bottom of the produce bin at the grocer? I have yet to hear somebody say "All glory to God because I'm having a good hair day." Isn't that just as trivial as winning a poker tournament or a Super Bowl?

(Note: Don't read that with a condescending or sarcastic tone. That wasn't my intention.)

Draft saved Draft deleted