1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Jesus care about poker?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 18, 2007.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yeah but a football player didn't have to put up a $10,000 buy-in to play in the Super Bowl.

People can perceive poker as a sport if they choose, but it's gambling. Religion isn't something you normally hear about around a card room.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I would HOPE Chris Ferguson cares about poker!

And I think the Biblical basis for not allowing gambling tends to be indirect -- prohibition against the love of money and spending money frivilously, as well as the connection to seemier, worldly vices. But I know all sorts of Christians that play poker, and compared to the bingo game at your random Catholic church, that's like pissing in an ocean of piss.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

No, he's got to spend likely as much as that over a lifetime just to get good enough to play in the league. Anything could be considered a gamble. But that's not really the point. How is thanking God for good cards different from thanking God for a victory whose catalyst was a game-changing fumble?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's not. Both are stupid to do.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Hey, don't blame the Catholics.
    We do Bingo. We have Hold 'em and chuck-a-luck at the church festival every year.
    We may take the meat out of your lenten Fridays, but we do not take the dice out of your hand.
    Carry on.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Jesus does NOT care about poker........but he's a big fan of the ponies. These days your more likely to see him carrying around a racing form than the Bible.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Jesus loves poker. He's a player himself.....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There is no Christian prohibition against gambling.

Baptists and Mormons frown on it -- I think -- but I don't recall any specific prohibition in the Bible.

And if Jesus has to hear one more bad beat story, he's climbing back up on the cross.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Jesus is the reason for the bad beats. If you're a good Christian, nobody ever hits a one-outer against you.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's what I was looking for. Thanks Zeke.

I understand the Bible in reference to "vices," but unless it's spelled out, you could call virtually anything a vice. Hell, if that's the case, reality TV is a vice and a LOT of you posters are going to burn in Hell. :D

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
    Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
    And the preacher said, "You know you always have the
    Lord by your side"

And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you lord

Rolling Stones, "Faraway Eyes"

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member