1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it make it difficult to root for Kobe ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, May 21, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

fair enough, if it had to be explained, I failed.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

I got it, JC, and appreciated it.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And how many game-winners has he hit? A shit ton.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, since 2003-04 (when 82games.com started tracking it) -- LeBron's hit the most, 17. That's one more than Vince Carter, two more than Ray Allen, three more than Kobe.

Carmelo's the most lethal in a "game-winning situation*," hitting 48 percent. (League-wide average is .298.)

Check it out. This is really cool: http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm.

* which 82games.com defines as taking a shot with fewer than 24 seconds left, with the score tied or your team down by 1 or 2 points.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

All that means is that the Lakers are usually ahead by so many points, a game-winner isn't necessary. :)

Good stuff, though. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Even my poor attempt at humor was a big, steaming batch of fail. Kobe has taken the most GW shots (56) of anyone on that list. Piss.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would dislike Kobe for the flailing elbows and arms. Does 82games have how many times Bryant should have been punched in the face? Karl Malone was the same way, but he was jacked on roids and always looking for a Kevin Johnson or Spud Webb to steamroll with his high knee.

I have played thousands of hours of basketball in my life and I have never hit a player in the face while I was shooting or kneed a player in the chest while driving.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hah. Not to threadjack -- wouldn't want to deny anyone an at-bat against Kobe, who I do not like even a little bit -- but I've had cause to wonder about that exact question since the beginning of March. It's been fun to sit back and watch other Bills fans go all gushy about The Original 81, now that he's "one of ours."

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And yet, two posts up from this:

Kobe is the best stone-cold clutch player, Dooley?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Don't forget Worthy. He was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time! Players couldn't get a drink at the table!

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I would argue that the percentage is more important than the total. Total doesn't factor in the number of chances. Having said that...

Ronald Murray seems to be the most deadly in these situations.

12. JackReacher

Looks like Ray Allen hits his fair share of GW shots, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted