1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does homeschooling violate liberal values?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In my kids' experience in private and public, I have seen zero evidence that anyone is bullied based on academic achievement any better or worse in either environment. If at all. In fact, the big difference I see is that public school authorities are far quicker and fairer when it comes to incidents involving students (though the stories about the kid getting suspended for weeks for bringing a spork to school might offer anecdotal evidence otherwise). The big problem regarding bullying in private school is that if the bully is a kid whose parents are favored by the institution (particularly, parents who give a lot of money), then the target and his or her family is screwed.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is being pushed out by No Child Left Behind standards. Just like keyboarding.

Plus, spelling would be low on Bloom's Taxonomy (http://www.odu.edu/educ/roverbau/Bloom/blooms_taxonomy.htm), which is the core of educational philosophy today.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll tell you who cares about spelling: Parents.

Holy Jesus do parents care about spelling. That's all my wife ever hears about from parents is stuff related to their kids' spelling tests. And it's been that way at all three schools she has taught at. Spelling, spelling, spelling. Drives her bonkers.

4. 93Devil

[​IMG]

I would much rather my child do this consistently well than spell correctly.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Spelling has little to nothing to do with success in most professions. I just find it funny when "educators" can't spell.

6. 93Devil

Because most modern educators don't consider it important. You are more teaching letter blends and vowel sounds with spelling lists, not the actual spelling of the word.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I rest.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One thing I'm happy to see my son's high school doing well is balancing two demands:

1. That students learn all sorts of facts and figures for the benefit of standardized testing.

2. That students, in an age of easy, free and limitless access to information online, learn how to find what they seek, process it and analyze it.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think the Slate article misses the point a bit by using liberalism in the American sense instead of the political science definition. Using the political science definition, homeschooled students are not learning liberal values of freedom and what it means to be part of civil society. I know a few who would seem to want a "natural state" for all.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good point, Bob. Learning how to find information is incredibly important. Reading the Great Gatsby for the fifth time won't help you fix a broken heater.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, that's easy: Call a handyman.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Right, stitch, but this article isn't about liberal values, it's about liberals' values.

Draft saved Draft deleted