1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does homeschooling violate liberal values?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Does "mostly" = "all"?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't have a problem with public schooling. I have a problem with the general idea that the state knows better than parents.

3. Dick Whitman

In ninth grade, a lot of the private school kids in town, those who didn't go to the local Catholic high school, finally joined us. The brightest among them were in the advanced classes in English and that might be about it. I know they were behind in science and math - or, to put it more accurately, they were in the regular grade-level classes, not the advanced ones. And I went to an average public school or slightly below.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Mostly doesn't come close, either. Kids are their because their parents put them there for various reasons that ranges from wanting a better education, religious instruction, better facilities, or to appear wealthy.

5. Dick Whitman

Again, I don't think that's the idea. I think the idea is that we trust the state to do its job without trumping the values of the parents. That kids can get exposed to different viewpoints and come out no worse for the wear - and perhaps even better off.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just realized we are talking about home schooling and not private schooling. I don't know whether I should blame my lack of reading comprehension skills on my private elementary education or public high school and college.

Home schooling, I don't see how it's political one way or the other. If there's a liberal checklist to be had, I imagine home schooling conforms pretty well with the liberal belief that they always know better than anybody what's best for everybody.

7. We are pulling our kids out the private school this year and heading to Public School.
    1: I finally convinced my wife it's too expensive.
    And 2: I wasn't real thrilled with the education. I may have mentioned this before, but I keep waiting on my third grader to tell me Jesus discovered America. Too much emphasis on religion for me.
    The public school system here isn't bad. My wife and I were both products of public schools
    Our neighbor, who run a natural health foods store, his wife homeschools their five kids. They seem nice and normal, but they also don't interact with any of the neighborhood kids.
    One of my FB friends, a girl from HS, homeschools her daughter, who has some sort of LD. But she says she's home schooling her to:
    "I’m not attempting to socialize her to fit into society. In fact, I don't want her to fit into this society. I’m attempting to teach and help my child grow relationships first with God and then with others."
    So there's that ...

Me, I am REALLY skeptical of anyone who homeschools or wants to homeschool their kids.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I'm particularly a homeschooling fan, but Dick did put his finger on a point in the favor of private schools. My guess, too, is that there's less "bullying" of youngsters who actually want to get an education. That type of peer pressure is very strong, and if you can eliminate it from a child's life, his/her chances of academic success have GOT to be better.

I know I've mentioned this before, but it bears telling again.

When I was in second grade, our "enlightened" school system took half the kids in our grade and changed their reading/language program to something called ITA. For the next year, they were immersed in books and lessons that used ONLY phonetic spelling.

[​IMG]

After a year, they were re-introduced into the regular lesson plan. And as anyone should have expected, they had serious learning problems for quite a while after that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Home schooling all depends on what's being taught. Some kids are just "homed". Some get a great education and develop critical thinking skills.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Are they not doing CSMP anymore, or did I grow up on the "new math"?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What are 10 things that public schols " indoctrinate" into students?

Dick, asking kids to grow up and act like adults too quickly is something I do not like. I am painting a picture of Buffy and Neidermeyer when you describe those people.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The one thing you want to make absolutely, positively sure of is that your kid has exactly the same values as you. If you raise an independent thinker, you have failed as a parent.

Draft saved Draft deleted