1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Eric Lindros belong in the HHOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Larry Brooks is in the bag for the PA. Objectivity completely out the window. Since Lindros now works for the PA, I take nothing in that column to heart.
    But that 17th all-time in points per game stat is compelling for me. I'm leaning toward yes.
    Also, has anyone ever read Bill James' book about the baseball hall of fame? I read it a few years ago, but one thing I took away from it is the idea that it's bad policy to compare each new prospective hall of famer with the worst players already enshrined. People seem to do that all the time. Like, "If Phil Rizzuto is in, how can you leave Omar Vizquel out?" It's shaky logic.
    And I don't get the Joey Mullen hate. The guy had 500 goals, six straight 40-goal seasons and won three Cups. His goals per game is around .500 -- not Bossy territory, but still outstanding. Throw in the sentimental crap -- first American to score 500 goals, grew up playing hockey with rolls of electrical tape on roller skates in Hell's Kitchen -- and you get a ticket to T.O.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 71,

Joe Mullen was never the best player on his team, often not the best player on his line. (At some points he was the third best player on his line.) His value as a player was pretty well limited to the goals he scored -- an asset worth having, but not the only one. For a baseball comp, Dave Kingman applies. One dimension. He meets a goal-scoring criterion, sure, but offered little else to recommend him. Championship teams ... was he the third best player on those teams, fourth, fifth? In that regard he's closer to Kevin Lowe than Mark Messier. On Joe Mullen's best day and Eric Lindros's best, is there anybody in hockey who'd rather have Joe Mullen? In fact he's not even the best version of a player in his mould (see Dino C.) And, no, they shouldn't give points to the "sentimental crap." Say what you will about Eric Lindros, he was the best player in the league for a season, maybe two or three. He was the best player on the best line in hockey for a good stretch. No he didn't win a Cup, but with Garth Snow and Hextall, the miracle was getting to a final.

YHS, etc

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Aside from 2002, he also won a silver in Albertville in 1992 before his NHL career.

It certainly is a tough call. I have a tough time with players like Clark Gillis being in there, and it seems like Lindros had better numbers and more of an influence on the game - minus the Cups. There are a lot of good players through the 1980s and 1990s who could make an argument on numbers alone. I think his argument maybe goes beyond that.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yeah, those are his dead years -- kind of like David Ortiz' days in Minnesota, which might keep him out of the Hall of Fame unless he has 4-5 more great years.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Neely's career basically ended just as the trap and defensive-minded hockey was dragging down NHL scoring numbers. Lindros' stats surely suffered as a result.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well, that shows you how much his leadership skills worked for Team Canada. :p

I am on the fence about the whole Lindros HHOF thing. While injuries did hurt his overall stats, and he did have some major career highlights, I am just not sure to me he is HHOF material.

What personally peeves me about him is how he was a sucky baby about not wanting to play in Quebec when he was drafted there. He should have at least given it a try. I always hated how he dealt with that situation.

(and the above is a personal opinion).

Now he should get in as a builder, especially if he does great things with the NHLPA as ombudsperson or if he does anything else substantial in the years to come.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can, I never had a problem with his not wanting to go to the Soo or telling Quebec ahead of time, "If drafted I will not report".

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

No, but without going through this entire thread, how many of the guys traded to Quebec for Lindros will go into the Hall?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Forsberg.

And maybe Mike Ricci for being the ugliest guy in all of sports. :)

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Peter Forsberg

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

There's an awesome picture floating about on the Internet somewhere, where a guy in Vancouver is holding up a sign that says "Chelios, you're uglier than Ricci!"

Chelios is laughing as he skates by.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

JR, I knew you wouldn't...

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted