1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Eric Lindros belong in the HHOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My initial inclination was, no, he doesn't belong in the HHOF. But I think that response might have been based on the notion that he never lived up to the hype. I remember when he came into the league that he was going to be the best since Gretzky, and he turned out to be a run-of-the-mill player, for the most part.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

After a practice during the 2000 season, Desjardins went home to find Big No. 88 practicing going five hole on Mrs. Desjardins. There was no way for the organization to punish Lindros without the story becoming public. So the players conspired with the AHL Phantoms to make Lindros pay the price. The day prior to Game 7 of the Flyers-Devils series, Lindros was checked behind the net harder-than-necessary by a Phantoms defenseman. Lindros dropped the gloves, only to find players from both teams on top of him swinging away.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and you know this story to be accurate?
    The players I have talked to thought he was a good teammate. Not everyones going to like the guy and if the Desjardins story is true then I guess I will have to rethink my opinion

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stojko was a world class Canadian figure skater who also had a black belt in something--karate or judo.

Urban legend was that he and Eric got into a fight in a bar in Ontario cottage country and 5' nothing Elvis kicked Eric's ass.

Most people think it was a load of hooey since apparently Elvis & Lindros were friends. Sea Bass said in another thread that he was at the bar the night the fight never happened.

But it sure had a lot of momentum for a while

5. Flash

Flash Guest

True words.
    No Henderson. No Lindros.

6. KP

KP Active Member

While Lindros spent his career as Scott Stevens' bitch, Neely used his body as an asset.
    While there are similiarities to their career because they both missed significant times because of injury, but Neely missed almost two full seasons because of Ulf (Lindros' worst season in terms of games played was 33). Even after playing in just 22 games over the previous 2 years managed to scored 50 in 50, despite being a healthy scratch in about a third of the team's games. Neely was a far better player than Lindros when each had to call it quits.
    138 of the 171 point difference can be attributed to the first three years to their career when Neely was with Vancouver.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Flash,
    The Henderson argument is an entirely different one. He was a mediocre hockey player who scored three game winning goals in an 8 game tournament.

Sorry, but if Neely, Bernie Federko, Dick Duff (WTF) and Joey Mullen are in the hall, Lindros deserves to be there.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Wait ... where did I say those guys belong in the Hall?

The requirements of entry need to be refined, I say.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Neely scored 50 goals in 44 games in 1993-94, probably his last really good season.

He brought back the power forward mold. He made it possible for Eric Lindros to claim big bucks right away.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, Lindros hardly spent his career as Stevens bitch. That's just plain silly.

There was not a more physically dominating playre than Lindros in his priime.

I'm not claiming Neely wasn't a good player--he was but the fact that he's in the hall means Lindros should be.

Last time I checked Neely didn't win a a Hart.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree JR but Neely is not in the same class as Federko, Duff and Mullen. Neely was a dominate force I don't think you can say the same about the others.
    This is the problem with the Hall, it has let so many questionable candidates in that it doesn't take greatness to get in. So by those standards Lindro's gets in

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You are probably right but that's not the issue.

The issue is simple: given Lindros' career compared to other players in the hall, does he fit the present criteria?

Yup, he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted