1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Eric Lindros belong in the HHOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Oh, no, not leverage!
    How dare he.
    Most hockey parents are complete sheep. This guy's weren't, especially his mother, who got treated the way Colleen Howe used to get treated when she negotiated Gordie's deals. Hockey had a problem with anyone who didn't act honored when their kid was sent half-a-continent away to play Juniors -- That worked out nicely for some kids, didn't it? -- or who didn't bow gratefully at the prospect of being drafted by the then-hopeless-buffoons who ran the Nordiques.
    And, anyway, how can you not love a situation where a guy gets traded to two teams at the same time.
    Close call on the Hall, but, no.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Career stats don't bear that out. Lindors had about 170 points more than Neely, won the Hart, played on two Olympic teams and made it to the Stanley Cup Final.

My original point was that based on the rather loose criteria the Hall has for entry, Lindros should be a serious consideration

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Eric Lindros is a fag" / Bobby Clarke

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

James Mirtle says, "Yup".

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/11/lindros-belongs-in-hall.html

And some musings in Stephen Brunt's column in yesterday's Globe

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071107.wsptbrunt7/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

He was the opposite of the always beloved, plucky strivers, or a physically ordinary superstar such as Wayne Gretzky. He was big and handsome, and even as a kid, he seemed to be a man playing among boys. Looking at him with his size, his strength, his mean streak and his fine hockey skills, it was as though shinny evolution had skipped a couple of links.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fen, in general I would agree with you but in this case Lindro's is parents were complete douches.
    i have no problem with then not wanting their son playing junior in Sous St marie but Bonnie and Carl still acted like their son was 14 all the way through his career.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Great line from his press conference yesterday:

Q: What would you have done differently?

A: I might have practised stickhandling with my head up a bit more.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree with JC

Bobby "Hey, we never asked Roger Neilson to get Cancer" Clarke has more or less said he never had a problem with Eric--it was his parents he couldn't bear.

I'm sorry, but at some point--maybe after Bantam hockey--parents have to stop complaining to the coaches about playing time and linemates.

Nice story in today's Star about his press conference.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NHL/article/274989

Classy move, this:

Lindros saved one of his biggest assists for last, announcing that he's donating $5 million in support of the London Health Sciences Foundation, which includes the Fowler Kennedy Sport Medicine Clinic.

And this:

His playing days aren't over. Lindros said he had signed a "five-year contract to play Monday nights in the Toronto area. ... The pace may be a little bit slower but the rest of the game will remain the same."

Gee, that'd be fun. Beer league hockey with Lindros.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For being Alan Eagleson's right hand man in fucking over the players.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ask Eric Desjardins about what a good teammate Lindros was.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is the Desjardins story up there with the Elvis Stojko urban legend?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What's the Elvis Stojko story?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's the Desjardins story?

Draft saved Draft deleted