1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Eric Lindros belong in the HHOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

taken from HOF site - criteria seems pretty open ended:

HHFM works with members of the Canadian and international hockey community to ensure that those players, builders and officials who have made significant contributions and achievements in the game are honoured and memorialized through their election into Honoured Membership. HHFM also works with the Professional Hockey Writers' Association and NHL Broadcasters' Association to recognize distinguished individuals from the print and broadcast media professions.

One could certainly argue that Lindros made significant contributions to the game.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Fixed.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. F,

Good call on Joey Mullen.

I always thought Brett was great on "Be a Player"

"Legion of Doom" is the best name of any line in hockey history.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

HHOF?

HeadTrauma Hall Of Fame? Sure.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think he'll make the Hall as a player. Instead, he'll make it as a builder, for the contributions he has made to the PA and will continue to make.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The vile and evil Bobby Clarke said he belongs in the Hall (I think he must have a concussion!).

Lindros was far from a bust, but he was overhyped. He's no Ryan Leaf.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

His parents wrecked his career from the get-go. And skating with his head down didn't help his cause.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What Joe Mullen had going for him was that he was the first American-born player to 500 goals.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If he hadn't been so hyped coming in, he'd almost certainly get in.

As it is, I don't know. Certainly never lived up to expectations, but, as others have said, was a dominant player for a three or four year stretch who had that dominant run ended by injury.

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Just looking up some numbers, why did Mike Bossy retire at 30? Was he hurt?

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Eric Lindros. Awesome, awesome potential and could be downright scary in Philadelphia. Did he live up to the hype? Momentarily. I sometimes wonder if he stuck around the game so long because he could play in some shape or form and somehow contribute ... or if he just couldn't let go of the fact that he was already past his prime.

As touched on before on this thread, his bad off-ice supporting cast in some form sullied his career, although I don't think having an entourage is taken into consideration when it comes to election to the Hall.

I think about some of the players who are in the Hall and why they are deservedly in the Hall - for example: Dale Hawerchuk, until the end of his career, was consistent and productive.

Should Eric Lindros be in the Hall? Doubtful, unless there are sympathizers, or someone who also believes Tim Kerr should rightfully be in the Hall.

12. As a Philly fan, I loved how Lindros played with a mean streak, even if he was hurt all the time. Last I heard, though, he was playing for the Rangers years ago. I had no idea he was still in the damn league.

Draft saved Draft deleted