1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Eric Lindros belong in the HHOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, I know, there's a hockey thread but this is an interesting debate, at least for puckheads.

Damien Cox makes the case for and against:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NHL/article/274621

Cox says yup--mainly based on the paramaters they've set in recent years.

I call it the Cam Neely syndrome. If he belongs in the Hall, so does Lindros.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't think there's any way he gets in. His stats just don't hold up. He never scored 50 goals in a season, and only scored more than 100 points once.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I go back to Neely.

Lindros had a better career than Neely in terms of points--by 170 points.

And if 50 goals was a factor in determining eligibility, it would be a "Closet of Fame".

Personally, I don't think either belong.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't discount the personality factor when it comes to Neely, JR. By all accounts, he's an unbelievably nice guy. I'm sure that helped his case. Can't say the same for Lindros.

Not saying that should be a legitimate criteria for enshrinement, but no one can deny it helps.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lindros wasn't Mr. Bubbly but he never came off as prick--at least in the media.

Like I said in the hockey thread, he always struck me as a slightly tragic figure--he never seemed to achieve the demands of his parents, his fans and the hockey world in general.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What is criteria for Hall ? Is it just NHL or does it include amateur performance as well?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Exactly. He was touted as the next Hull, the next Lemieux, the next whomever. It never really panned out, save three good seasons.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Lindros was an incredibly intimidating figure at times, but he shouldn't be confused with a HOFer.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Who knows? I don't think a player's junior career is relevant. If that were the case Darcy Tucker will get in based on his three Memorial Cup Championships with Kamloops

Tretiak is in the Hall based on one eight game series from what I can gather. And yet, Paul Henderson isn't. Go figure.

And Bob Pulford's in the Hall for what reason exactly?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's gotta hurt him for HOF. I'm not a diehard hockey fan and when I hear "Lindros" the first word that comes to mind is "bust." I know he wasn't that bad but how many guys, in any sport, get into the HOF yet make you whisper "he shoulda been a little better"?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Play,

"Bust" may be a little harsh.

"Unfulfilled", maybe?

For a big guy he sure was fragile.

Everything changed after the Stevens hit.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

If you asked Habs from the mid-90s, they'd have told you he should go there immediately.

I think he won't be voted in, but should be ... citing not just Neely, but also Joe Mullen and Federko, marginal recent picks. Lindros = Koufax sorta. Short career, but for a stretch in the 90s he was the best player on the most feared line in the league. And he was never a bad guy. Mom was a nightmare. Brother a goof. Father a knowitall meddler. EL was actually a very smart and pretty funny guy to deal with. I'd vote him into the Hall for his Paul Coffey impression. I'd vote him into the media wing for giving Tim Pannacio a lot of years of material.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted