1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Derek Jeter win in Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It may decide whether the Dems get a sweep.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On the ground there, insiders worry that they can't get good polling data on this race.

The question is whether people are being honest with pollsters on the question of whether they would vote for a black candidate. A friend, well-wired to the state Dems, calls it the "missing 15" -- as in, the 15 percent of people who are lying when they're polled. That would turn a race inside the margin of error into a Republican victory by a significant margin.

He's run a good race, would likely make a good senator unless he's been lying about all of those things he's said during the campaign. If his name was Smith or Jones, he'd win 54-45. But he's a Ford from Memphis, and that comes with a full set of remarkable political baggage. If he wins, it'll be close -- probably decided by the cemetary precincts in Memphis.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'm pulling for him, but I have friends in Nashville that aren't too fond of the guy.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have a bad feeling the Captain's coming up short.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Corker carries my home state by at least 9 points.

6. HejiraHenry

As a Tennessee native and a South Park Republican, the ideal set of circumstances would be for him to win -- but without affecting the control of the Senate. I have trouble doing the math on that one, at the moment.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Harold Ford Jr. is overrated and doesn't deserve the MVP.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think 15 is overstating it. But there is definitely a black candidate tax of 5%.

I think Corker wins 53-47.

9. HejiraHenry

Yeah, I thought 15 sounded a little high.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good story on Ford Jr. in this week's Newsweek. I say he wins.

11. I'm a die-hard GOPer (duh), but I do like Harold Ford.

Don't think he's ready now, but when Alexander retires, he should try it again.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Too bad Ford wasn't running here in Chicago. We elect the progeny of tainted politicians all the time.

/bitter because my Congressman is Dan Lipinski, installed by his dad and former seatholder Bill in post-election chicanery, and my soon-to-be county board president is Todd Stroger, installed by the county Democratic machine controlled by his ailing father and former seatholder John in post-primary chicanery.

Draft saved Draft deleted