1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Damon Allen belong in the Football Hall of Fame? Marino says no Moon, yes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 1, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Does Damon Allen belong in the Football Hall of Fame? Marino says no Moon,

Right, and the Puerto Rican wrestler who stabbed him walked. In St. Louis, he was King Kong; he became Bruiser when he wrestled for the Von Erichs.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Brody was a beast. Kicked ass though.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The American Hockey League is pro hockey, AAA baseball is pro baseball, etc. If a guy was the AAA-homer king but he wasn't good enough to make an MLB roster, would he be in Cooperstown? I'm not so sure I would. The CFL may house different rules and I know the game is a lot faster (quicker play clocks and less downs), but that doesn't change the fact that many of them couldn't play NFL if they wanted to.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Play CFL rules and I bet you'd find that isn't the case. The CFL has half the time to rest in between plays and far more field to use... translation, you have to be fit. They're completely different games, and I do believe a lot of people would be surprised how different.

I'm not sure the players are on a level field to decide who should be in the hall and who not.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

JR.....there's your problem. The "rest of the world" is the CFL, the good 'ole U.S.A is the NFL! Don't settle for second place..... ;)

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yes, Theismann was a Toronto Argonaut at one time.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

At least until the Argos effectively disowned him earlier this year.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Forgot about that.
    What was it, Joe said? Something about being ashamed to be an Argos alumni because they signed Ricky?

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

To be more specific, ashamed of wearing the A on his helmet. The Argos' response was classic:

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I still can't believe that Theismann got away with saying what he said about Williams during that Toronto morning radio interview. He called Williams "an addict," and strongly inferred that Williams was taking drugs much more serious than weed. Stellick and Landry were pussies for not going after him about that (especially Landry, an unapologetic Argos fan).

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great game tonight in Edmonton. The Eskimos scored two touchdowns in the last six seconds to erase a 26-22 deficit and beat the Calgary Stampeders 35-26.

The Eskimos were up 16-0 early but blew the lead and Calgary moved ahead in the fourth quarter after a classic play -- the Stamps set up for a third-down punt, but linebacker Brian Clark grabbed the snap while punter Burke Dales swept wide. Clark hit Dales with the pass and Calgary got a first down to keep its drive going. The ensuing TD, convert and rouge off the kickoff gave the Stamps a 26-19 lead.

QB Ricky Ray led the Eskimos on a 12-play, 90-yard winning drive. After the kickoff, Calgary QB Henry Burris was obviously looking for a Hail Mary on the last play, but Esks defensive end Adam Braidwood got him on the run and brought him down at his own 10-yard line. Burris coughed up the ball and Braidwood picked up the easiest touchdown he'll ever score.

Edmonton not only avenged a 44-23 loss to Calgary in their Labour Day Classic but, in improving to 4-7, took a huge step toward extending its 34-year playoff streak. How is that possible, you say, when the Esks are only 4-7? Well, they're only four points out of the last playoff spot in the West Division, and their next two games are against JR's hapless and hopeless Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Great, now we have a running CFL thread. Oh well, it'll give me something to read at 5 a.m. when every other poster has gone to bed.

Draft saved Draft deleted