1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Boeheim survive? Should he?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 6, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

SVP told an interesting story on air today; he said a few years back he was shooting hoops with Gary Williams and Williams told him "if I was 40, I would cheat like crazy. You have too." SVP told him, "why don't you cheat now?" and Williams said, "if I get caught at my age, people will assume I've done it my whole life."

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Would stepping down mean more people associate that with guilt? Probably, but who cares? He's 70. Go enjoy life while you still can.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's more than "associated" with guilt. His name's all over the NCAA report, and not in a good way.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Which is why I'm shocked LeMoyne didn't get the death penalty over this ...

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Boeheim succeeded because his program cheated or he cheated, either way, Boeheim and his program were caught with systemic corruption.
    And I guarantee that more news stories of Boeheim will use Hall of Fame than cheater

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If the wins didn't get vacated, I could have seen him retire. But you were that close to 1,000 and continuing to put distance between you and the rest of the field in second behind Coach K and now you tumble that far. I can see him sticking around to get some back

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Boeheim gets off easier than Paterno. They freaking killed him, man.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jim will get his wins back after he dies, just like Joe did.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Similar situations

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Vacated wins certainly derailed Calipari's career. I'm sure most college basketball fans don't know he lost a season of wins becuase he and Derrick Rose cheated. Rose's karma bit him in the leg, often. Still waiting for Calipari to get butthurt

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Believe Calipari's actually lost TWO seasons of wins. You can add in 96 Umass/Camby along with 08 Memphis/Rose.

And, yeah, aside from being the world's highest paid college basketball coach and at the helm of the current 30-0 No. 1 ranked team, those episodes sure did derail his career.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Career wins is something I believe most people really don't care about (excepting this board).

Draft saved Draft deleted