1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Boeheim survive? Should he?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's already 70, so maybe he resigns/retires on his own. But this definitely seems like it should cost him his job.

A quick recap for those not up to speed:

Syracuse was stripped of 3 scholarships per year for the next 4 years.

Boeheim got suspended for the first 9 ACC games of next year.

They also have to give back some NCAA tournament money, vacate a bunch of wins and have to cut down on off-campus recruiting.

NCAA suspends Jim Boeheim for nine games, cuts Syracuse Orange scholarships - ESPN

And he got hit with the "failure to monitor" charge, which always looks bad.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No one gives a shit about violating NCAA rules. If he wins, he stays.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People still take NCAA basketball ethics seriously?

John Calipari is still on the floor. That should make it OK for anyone else barring significant criminal activity.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Question is, does he want to? He was lukewarm on the ACC from the jump, and he's not a young man. If he's going to be hamstrung for the next four years, the golf course has to be looking mighty good.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, this seems really harsh, and I'll bet folding money it's more than UNC will get for much more serious infractions. Anyone think there's a Bernie Fine tax included here?

expendable likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wanting to leave is one thing. But there's no way they're firing him for this.

Besides, won't Syracuse appeal it and get it reduced?

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This sums up my feelings.

Admittedly, I'm more of a hockey guy but I have watched less college basketball this season than any other in my adult life.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I would bet the unwritten rule most ADs have for their basketball coaches is do what you gotta do, but don't get us hammered by the NCAA. Nobody expects them to follow the rule book, but figure out a way to do your thing without bringing on this kind of punishment. I don't think it's unreasonable if the Syracuse AD wants somebody who can coach in more than half of the conference games next season.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They're not going to fire him. I was surprised he didn't retire after the deal with his assistant a few years ago.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

UNC allegations are much more serious and systemic beyond the athletic department. Because it invloves(d) the African American Studies Department the NCAA and UNC will tread lightly and the sanctions will not be as severe as Syracuse. If it comes soon at UNC will it be serious blow to the ACC to have two premier basketball schools dealing with sanctions and probation at the same time?

Throw in Duke and their problem with not punishing a player for a year for sexual assault allegations and the ACC looks pretty bad. But as long as ESPN doesn't fixate on problems, nothng will resonate with the public

As for Syracuse, the allegations go back over 10 years doesn't the NCAA owe someone an apology for sleeping on the job?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's understandable.

College basketball season doesn't start for another two weeks and ends in just about a month.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Point taken. Thanks for the chuckle, BTE.

Draft saved Draft deleted