1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Bill O'Reilly have a Brian Williams problem?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 20, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would bet serious money if you took the stories that newscasters and talk show hosts tell and fact check them that almost all of them have stories that are somewhere between "wildly exagerrated" and "completely false"

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is about as true as 75 percent of people in the Republican party thinking that Fox News is the only place they can find the truth.

But good attempt on the tried-and-true thing you do on here (twice!), where you respond to me with definitive-sounding exaggerations of what I actually said, to see if I'll get sucked into arguing about the stupid thing you want me to, rather than what I actually have said.

Songbird likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What percentage of FOX News watchers are stenographers, recording every word for left-wing "watchdog" sites?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dick is Montell Jordan! "Ever since I was a lowercase G..."

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jack Morris.

Songbird likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

OK, I was wrong. It's 69 percent of Republicans:

Fox News once again most and least trusted name in news - Public Policy Polling

[Fox News] leads the way because of its continuing near total support among Republicans as the place to go for news- 69% of Republicans say it's their most trusted source with nothing else polling above 7%.

Also, poll after poll has shown a decline in Americans' trust in traditional media outlets, and are pretty consistent in showing that the percentage of conservatives who trust legacy media is much, much smaller than the percentages for any other group.

Since you want to be obstinate, I'll amend my original statement to say most "politically active" Republicans, i.e. the only ones who really matter in this debate, overwhelmingly trust Fox News more than any other outlet.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Surprising considering all the objective alternatives.

8. MisterCreosote

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Um, Public Policy Polling is a joke. I'll accept their poll if you can explain why I should accept their methodology (including the details they didn't disclose, if it was typical of their work).

You just appealed to a pollster that only polls for democratic campaigns (skewed questions and all to create the results they want) and has been ripped to shreds all over the place (including in the New Republic, of all places!) for its shitty methodology.

PPP Polling Methodology: Opaque, Flawed | The New Republic

10. MisterCreosote

11. MisterCreosote

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Whether or not MC nailed the precise figure, if you talk to anyone over 70 years old in the United States, it's more likely than not that, within five minutes, you'll hear about how Fox News is the only news source that you can trust.

Draft saved Draft deleted